Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
mithuth

Re: I've joined the addiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul
That's cool. A lot of the research shows that people with previous dirt bike riding experience are much better riders on the street. They're better able to control the bike and don't freak out if it starts sliding and such.
I was actually kind of disappointed that I couldn't kick the rear end out, but that's probably for the best. lol

I did have my first off road experience with the 250...
I was riding behind my mom (who also rides a gz250 btw) on an old back country road through the forest. We were on a steep up hill that fed into a 25mph, 90 degrees right turn into a down hill. So you were literally changing from up hill to down hill and making a 55mph to 25mph braking all at the same time.
She saw the 25mph sign a bit late and locked up the brakes for a second, hooked a hard right and made the corner. Me, well I was watching the loose dog that was heading out towards the road towards us from the house on the corner, so I wasn't so lucky. I locked up both front and rear in a straight slide, hoping to make a full stop or decent slow so I could let off the brakes and hook the right.
"Nope, not happening," I thought to myself and I immediately went back to dirt bike mode. I saw an access road and let off the brakes so I could control the bike a bit better. I stood up on the pegs and aimed for the access road. Through a big patch of gravel, into a mucky mud hole about 8ft wide and 6ft long I went. I did gently slow the bike and get it back under control pretty quickly.
I turned it around and came back out, avoiding another trip through the mud and gravel as best I could. My mom's face was white as a ghost and her hands were shaking. She was VERY shook by what happened. Me, not so much. Maybe I'm just too stupid to realize the mortal danger I was in, or maybe due to past experience I wasn't in quite as much danger as she felt. Either way, I had a good deep belly laugh about it and told her to give me a little more warning before hard turns, then smiled and rode off.

Edit to add:
I kept teasing her (and still do) that she helped cement in my mind that I need to sell the 800 and get a 450 or 650 on/off bike. lol

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

A good street legal enduro would be a hoot. Personally I have found that anything over a 250 is a bit of overkill. Anything over 300 pounds is a *itch to pick up and you will have to eventually.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
mithuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
A good street legal enduro would be a hoot. Personally I have found that anything over a 250 is a bit of overkill. Anything over 300 pounds is a *itch to pick up and you will have to eventually.
I couldn't agree more on the 250 aspect in the woods. My only counter point is being off road and on, I'd want to get something just a bit bigger than a 250 so I can go more than a top speed of 60-70. I want a top speed more like 100-125. Not that I want to go that fast, but if I'm doing 55 and i crack the throttle, I want something that doesn't feel like I should get off and push to go faster. The 800 is awesome for that. If I hit the gas, it goes. No questions asked, it goes right now.
I'd like to duplicate that in an on/off bike.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

I'm sure there are machines out there that will do the deed. How much $ are you prepared to spend is the question.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
mithuth

Quote:
I'm sure there are machines out there that will do the deed. How much $ are you prepared to spend is the question.
Somewhere between "as little as possible" and "whatever it takes" lol

Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithuth
Quote:
Somewhere between "as little as possible" and "whatever it takes" lol
Yamaha makes an absolutely sweet 250 street legal enduro with all sorts of great features but the price is just a tad high for my tastes. Not sure what the cruising speed would be on road but off road it appears to be a winner in my books. Lots of suspension travel that won't beat you up after a few hours playing "Mr Adventure".
Lots of the younger dirt riders here just hang a cheap lighting kit on their dirt bikes and ride across town to hit the mountain trails. They keep it street legal so as not to annoy the LEOs.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #17
mole2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rionna
How long have you been riding?
About 3 weeks. lol

Ok, that's sort of wrong. I rode dirt bikes when I was a teen (about 20 years ago). On a whim decided I wanted to start riding again and bought these bikes within a week of each other.
Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. You should think about taking the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course) as it's the best investment you can make in your safety. Ride safe.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #18
mithuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2
Quote:
Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. You should think about taking the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course) as it's the best investment you can make in your safety. Ride safe.

Thanks from PA. :rawk:

I'm taking the PAMSP (PA Motorcycle Safety Program), which is the equivalent of the BRC everywhere else, as soon as I figure out a time I can miss work. It seems they schedule the program evenings right when I work. lol
Old 05-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #19
PimpS

What about 650 honda transalp?
Old 05-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
PimpS