Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
mrlmd1

Re: Starter just makes click sound everytime I press it

What kind of new battery did you buy? If it was the sealed AGM battery that is usually bought, did you charge it up fully before using it, or did you just take it from the battery store, fill it with acid, and install it? If you did that, maybe that's the problem. These batteries have to be FULLY CHARGED UP before being put into use, or they are basically useless. You can try charging it again and see if it will start the bike, or bring it back to the store and have them load test it so they can see that it is "defective". replace it with another one, then CHARGE IT UP FIRST before trying to start the bike. Your bad battery is more likely the problem than anything wrong with the charging system or the starter.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtech88
Ok guys

and it still makes that click sound. I checked my spark plug and its not sparking.
A lot of good responses so far. If you insist on chasing this yourself, you need a multi-meter. Available from Radio Shack for ~$15.

Odds are that charging your new battery will solve the whole problem. Your described symptoms are classic for a worn out battery.

[Tough love mode on] Anyone who thinks the plug should be firing when the engine is NOT turning over probably should take it to the shop and stop wasting everybody's time. Sorry.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:45 AM   #13
Zorrander

I have such problem. Battery is o`k and fully charged. I suppose it`s starter`s fault. What could happened with starter?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrander
I have such problem. Battery is o`k and fully charged. I suppose it`s starter`s fault. What could happened with starter?
If the battery is good, you "Could" try shorting the two terminals on the starter relay (Next to the fuse block, behind the battery cover), to see if that gets the starter turning.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
WOW.............all the way from Russia. WELCOME !!!

Since it is unlikely that your problem is EXACTLY the same, you need to tell us what is happening for YOU.
Like....is the headlight coming on? Does the headlight go dead when you push the start button?
Does it click when you push the button or does it do totally nothing?

A possible cause if the headlight does light AND does NOT dim when you try to start AND you do NOT hear a click (nothing happens) is the safety switches on the clutch, side stand and shifter neutral.

And no offense to your battery skills but LOTS and LOTS of people have said "The battery is fine" only to find out later that it is NOT fine.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

Old 04-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
Zorrander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
A possible cause if the headlight does light AND does NOT dim when you try to start AND you do NOT hear a click (nothing happens) is the safety switches on the clutch, side stand and shifter neutral.
You mean possible problem is my clutch, and starter clicking is just a warning? Well, I didn`t look at my headlight, and don`t know does it light or dimming. I look at it tomorrow, and will keep you posted about! Thanks all!

P.S. Sorry for my English!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #17
Zorrander

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
...you "Could" try shorting the two terminals on the starter relay...
Yeah, it`s a good idea too! I will try it!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #18
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

Hey Easy,
I'm sure that in another post, when he introduced himself, zorrander said that his bike was a Chinese copy. Just thinking ......... they may not have all the Suzuki safety devices. Not saying they do or they don't, just saying it's a possibility.

Hey zorrander,
Does your bike have the safety cut outs that easy mentioned?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
You mean possible problem is my clutch, and starter clicking is just a warning?
No. My fault, too much verbage!
One of the safety switches is on the clutch handle. If it is bad, NOTHING will happen.
If it is clicking, then the safetys are OK and you have a battery, solenoid or starter problem......or corroded or loose main battery cables.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:45 AM   #20
Zorrander

I have safety switch on the clutch handle! I had been notised, that safety switch on the handle is damaged - now bike starting without swit?hing clutch handle. It happened after winter (bike have standed in my garage all the winter). Today I will try to short the two terminals on this switch and start, if it`s clicking or not... I will keep you posted! Thanks!