Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
mainlinecoffee

The batt is good. I can turn starter motor by jumping wires on solonoid with a screwdriver. The headlight has been wired straight to the batt and I ditched turn signals. The brake light is my only means of checking current in harness. I will check grounds and main hot wires tomorrow.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-09-2014, 05:40 AM   #12
alantf

7.jpg From this drawing, it seems likely that the problem is one of the safety switches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (81.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by alantf; 03-09-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
mainlinecoffee

With the tail light not coming on I am questioning weather or not any part of it is getting power. I'm going to run down it with a circuit tester

Old 03-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #14
alantf

If you can start the bike by shorting out the solenoid, then it DEFINITELY points to a fault in the starter circuit. Most likely it's a safety switch - with my first thought being the clutch switch. Try blasting some contact cleaner in the red switch, clutch switch, and sidestand switch. You might be pleasantly surprised by the results. As for lights not working, have you checked that the bulb hasn't blown. I'll repeat myself, one last time - If you can start up by shorting the solenoid, the fault MUST be in the starter circuit (or the solenoid coil itself).
Old 03-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
mainlinecoffee

Well I don't really understand how that works but I will take your word for it. I will give it a through cleaning tomorrow. Does it seem odd that you can jump the solonoid and crank the bike over when the bike is off? It's making me curious as to weather or not the ignition is working too.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #16
mainlinecoffee

If the bike was running and the ignition fuse fell out but the bike didn't die instantly than where was it getting power?
Old 03-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
alantf

As you can see from the drawing, the ignition circuit is for STARTING the bike. To try and simplify it for you, once it's running, the alternator circuit takes over, and runs the bike. Again, from the drawing, when you short out the solenoid. you're putting power directly to the starter motor, without the circuit that pulls in the solenoid coil (and closes the solenoid) being used. That's why it's GOT to be a fault in the starter circuit (possibly a safety switch fault) stopping the solenoid coil (which closes the solenoid main contact) pulling in. All the solenoid is, is a coil which, when energised by the starter circuit, closes the heavy duty contact, and puts around 80A to the starter.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Totally agree with Alantf. It is just a dirty or corroded switch. You just need to track it down. Worst case scenario is a new/used switch from ebay.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
mainlinecoffee

The clutch is long gone, I use a vice grip attached to the clutch knob to disengage it. I will pull it all apart and check the wiring though. What about the switch in the kick stand? And I don't mean to run in circles but why would I no longer have a tail light? I checked the bulb the fuse and all the connections.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #20
Water Warrior 2

"The clutch is long gone." Did you make sure the clutch safety switch is disabled and not subject to causing a problem?