Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #101
JohnC

You need a #2 JIS driver. Phillips drivers do not fit and will destroy the heads of the screws. Another interesting thread (If I do say so myself...)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #102
ImaginativeFig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
You need a #2 JIS driver. Phillips drivers do not fit and will destroy the heads of the screws. Another interesting thread (If I do say so myself...)
Ugh, seriously? That's butts. Ok. Add that to the shopping list. Are there other sizes of JIS drivers I may need for the bike?
I can't see the thread, "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Please login below or register an account with Nighthawk-Forums.com - Your Honda Nighthawk Motorcycle Forum!"

Edit: for the gasket set am I looking for just the o-rings or the bowl gasket too?

Last edited by ImaginativeFig; 02-07-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:49 AM   #103
Water Warrior 2

You can modify a regular screwdriver to fit the bike parts. Thanks to Alantf we learned that we can just grind or file down the tip of a screwdriver to shorten the tip a wee bit. A file will do the job but takes a while. I filed one driver down to fit and then wrapped some tape around the shaft to identify it in the tool drawer. There are a couple JIS screwdriver sets available in the U.S. but they are pricey and not needed if you just do a mod on regular stuff.

Another tool that is a JIS tool is an impact driver that many places sell. I used to use it for tightening screws when regular screwdrivers failed to work well. Mine came with 4 tips, 2 flat and 2 Philips. Due to it's size and weight it can be clumsy but is nevertheless effective.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #104
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

If you can't find a good file or anything better for the carb screws, do what I did. You only use the vice grips for the initial breaking free of the screw head. Once they've released their supernatural bond to the carb, any old screw driver can remove them and reinstall them.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #105
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginativeFig View Post

Edit: for the gasket set am I looking for just the o-rings or the bowl gasket too?
I would replace the bowl gasket too,just to be safe.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #106
Goose51683

I'm with Jonathan, Vice grips were my best friend whenever I had to break those carb screws loose. Especially considering I didn't realize you needed a special screwdriver until after they were already stripped out.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #107
JohnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
You can modify a regular screwdriver to fit the bike parts. ... we can just grind or file down the tip of a screwdriver to shorten the tip a wee bit.
The problem isn't the length, it is the profile of the "blades". Shorter blades still have the wrong profile.

I guess you need to join the Honda forum to see it, but, since I wrote it, I don't see why I can't reproduce it here:

Those pesky Phillips head screws

With great regularity, someone makes a post cursing those pesky Phillips head screws, or suggesting using an impact tool to disassemble carburetors, or recommending replacing all the carb screws with 10 or 12 dollars worth of stainless steel socket head screws.

Being a mechanic who takes pride in his work, I cringe everytime I see this. Why?

There are no Phillips head screws on a Honda [sic] motorcycle.

Hondas, and most other Japanese bikes use a standard called JIS. It looks like Phillips, but it isn't. A Phillips driver does not fit the screw properly, is prone to camming out, and is certain to bugger the heads of all but the most loosely installed screws. In fact, Phillips screws and drivers are designed to cam out to prevent overtorquing the fastener.

JIS screws can often be identified by a small dot or dimple in one of the quadrants of the head.

JIS drivers can be obtained through McMaster Carr or you can get drivers or 1/4" hex tips for your favorite magnetic screw driver from RJR Cool Tools. A #2 will cover most of the critical stuff; carb tops and bowls and hydraulic reservoir covers. I think there may be some #3 screws on some of the carb racks.

So, bugger your screws up then spend money on an impact tool and a new set of screws, or buy the right tool and use it for a lifetime.

:soap:

(Vice grips are for plumbers! )

Last edited by JohnC; 02-07-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:34 AM   #108
Water Warrior 2

Thank you. More stuff for toolbox junkies.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #109
ImaginativeFig

So just for updating's sake: I've started my weekend job now, so I've lost that work time and now just have evenings after school/weekjob/other obligations and happenings to fiddle with Coot. Fortunately, opening weekend happened to coincide with my birthday to bring together monies and monies, so I was able to pay for my bike insurance as well as order a JIS #2 offa Amazon--which should arrive tomorrow, allowing the next round of tinkering to commence. I also got a Kroger (which is a grocery store) giftcard, which will help ease the decision between bike stuff and food
Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #110
grasshopper

well, happy birthday! foods gooood. lol. I hope the carb work your going to do will be the cure for cooter's illness. looks like you have a lot on your plate. remember, you cannot manage time, you can only manage events in time. Good luck!

Tags
electrical, oil, problems, troubleshooting, won't start