Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Agree 100%. Interstates suck no matter what you're driving, but on a bike it not only sucks but it's extremely more dangerous. I also plan all my trips to use as many back roads and state routes as possible. You feel safer and don't have to worry as much about cagers.
You know, that's the exact opposite of what my MSF Instructor told my class. His reasoning is that, on an interstate, you have far more escape routes (wide shoulders on the side of the road) than you do on highways/county roads.

However, I will concede that the interstate is more dangerous on the GZ250 simply because you're running WOT the whole time and have no more throttle for emergency escapes.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
You know, that's the exact opposite of what my MSF Instructor told my class. His reasoning is that, on an interstate, you have far more escape routes (wide shoulders on the side of the road) than you do on highways/county roads.
I don't agree with that for 2 simple reasons: Much less traffic on the 2-lanes and much slower speeds. If I have to take evasive action, I'd much rather do it at 45 than at 70. Also much more likely to be run over AFTER a drop/crash by those following at 70-80 mph. More idiots on the super-slab 'cause they like to go FAST !!
Old 07-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #13
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
I don't agree with that for 2 simple reasons: Much less traffic on the 2-lanes and much slower speeds. If I have to take evasive action, I'd much rather do it at 45 than at 70. Also much more likely to be run over AFTER a drop/crash by those following at 70-80 mph. More idiots on the super-slab 'cause they like to go FAST !!
Well, the reasoning behind the "safer on the highways" argument is what's stated above, as well as that most of the traffic on highways is going the same direction at roughly the same speed; on smaller roads, the chance of a head-on or t-bone collision greatly increases. I think I read somewhere that the greatest chance for a motorcycle fatality is a car pulling out of a side road or making a left turn in front of a biker. I still feel safer and enjoy the ride more going 45-55 instead of 65-75. In my personal opinion, 45mph is the ideal speed to just cruise along and be able to enjoy the ride.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I still feel safer and enjoy the ride more going 45-55 instead of 65-75. In my personal opinion, 45mph is the ideal speed to just cruise along and be able to enjoy the ride.
Exactly. Think of it this way: Do you feel safer riding where 10 cars a minute are passing you at 70+ mph OR......where you only SEE one car every 10 minutes ?? (Exagerated slightly for effect but not far from the truth once you get away from the big cities).

The other factor in play might be the "urban environment syndrom". Those born after 1970 or so, in a major merto. area, don't know a world without expressways.........and probably can't imagine anybody preferring a 2 lane country road.
Some, no doubt, have never BEEN on a 2 lane country road.
Sad.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #15
davtnn

Around here all we have is two lane country roads ... have to travel 35 miles to get to a freeway ... and half the drivers here think they are preping for a nascar career... so ita about even on the danger factor ..