Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
davtnn

Personal Kit

Just curious about what people carry as needed equipment and supplies .. aside from the standard tool kit .. I carry a couple of tube lights (bend and they light). a small flash light .. bandaids .. gun lock (for my helmet). Extra pliers & 6"crescent and a spark plug .. tire pressure guage .. rain gear and a ball cap. Right now its all in a box awaiting my instalation of bags

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-10-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
i ride to work in the hottest part of the day and then ride home at 3am when it's cold out, so i usually have a thicker pair of gloves, a face mask, and maybe a pair of long underwear in my saddle bags.

aside from that i have my tool kit, a flashlight, bike lock, and a knife. i keep my rain pants in there as well if there's any chance of it raining on me.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
LilNinja77

My "every ride" kit that goes out every time I do includes:
duct tape, zip-ties, ratchet, selected sockets (usually 10, 12, 14, and 17mm), basic tool kit included with motorcycle (mainly just for the spark plug tool), folding set of allen-head wrenches, tire plug kit, road flares, tire pump, tire pressure gauge, 1 bottle of water, set of mechanics gloves, a folding knife, small amount of advil, and a l.e.d. flashlight.

This is sometimes all in my tank bag, sometimes all in my rear-top box. Depends on the situation. Sometimes I reduce the list to just the bare essentials (tire equipment) if I'll just be riding close to home/people I know. I don't always take my rain gear, mainly because my normal gear is already pretty good at keeping me dry, and I really don't mind getting a little damp now and then, it's a good way to cool off from the heat lol.

If I'll be on the road for an extended time, or going somewhere I'm really not familiar/comfortable with, I also add:
road map, complete set of 8-22mm socket set (with a few extra specialty sockets), extra face-shield (I ride normally with a dark-smoked shield), torque wrenches, cotter pins, cable lube, WD-40, chain lube, shop towels, and anything that just strikes my fancy as a nice addition.

I know I'm a heavy packer :2tup:
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~

Old 07-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Sarris

The Kit

My kit is my cell phone w/ the phone number for AAA. I bought RV coverage (which covers motorcycles), and they pick the bike up on a flat bed truck usually within a half hour. I'll let someone else fix it & rent a car if I need to. Anyways, most "break downs" are flat tires, fuses, or way too major to try and fix on the road.

I'm not a great mechanic at home, so I'll probably be alot worse on the road.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Re: The Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I'll let someone else fix it & rent a car if I need to.
Same here. My only concern is a dead spot for cell coverage but I don't go off of paved roads so that should be just a minor set-back if it occurs.

I used to do all my own wrenching when I was young and broke. Now I am neither and can be sipping a cocktail while somebody else does the work !!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Sarris

Re: The Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Same here. My only concern is a dead spot for cell coverage but I don't go off of paved roads so that should be just a minor set-back if it occurs.
I used to do all my own wrenching when I was young and broke. Now I am neither and can be sipping a cocktail while somebody else does the work !!
Amen Brother.

LOL
Sarris
:lol:
Old 07-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
bigfour

I'm with Sarris and Easy Rider, this bike is pretty simple... I'd think most problems on the road would either end your day or could wait until you're home.
I do think a spare clutch cable would come in handy though.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
music man

You don't know how right you are on that one brother. About a month and a half ago I was probably 25-30 miles from the

house wen't to pull in to a gas station, bam clutch cable broke right at the hand lever, I pulled in to the gas station immediately

called the zuki shop they said it would be about 4-5 days because it was late thurs afternoon and the weekend and all. he said

he could get one overnighted at a very steep shipping charge. I ordered it the cable was like 13 bucks cost like 50 bucks to

overnight it, cost sixty somethin' bucks for a 13 dollar cable, but got it in like 17 hours and got my bike home safely. so I

just got another one the other day for a spare. Not that I will break another one now that I have one but for 13 bucks I ain't

gonna risk it. Right now I don't have a truck and I live in a place where I don't know a whole lot of people so doing anything

but riding it home really wasn't an option, Currently fixing the truck problem though.

Later
Old 07-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #9
mrlmd1

What does a tire plug kit do? How are you going to fix a flat in a tubed tire with that? You have to patch the tube.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:30 AM   #10
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
What does a tire plug kit do? How are you going to fix a flat in a tubed tire with that? You have to patch the tube.
Not necessarily: http://www.slime.com/

I always carry around enough to fix one flat tire. It's amazing how many people (mostly bicyclists) live by this stuff out here; all the trees and bushes have huge thorns, along with the cactii and whatever glass you find on the roads. Seems like it's got a pretty good reputation (although I haven't read any "professional" reviews).