Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Fawlty

Buenas Tardes from Murcia

Hi. I am a UK expat living in Murcia, Spain. Been here all this century. Got my GZ new in 2002 at a cost of 3000Euros. Covered 17000km since then. Love the bike. Ideal for this area and climate, good coast road, which I use regularly on stretches between Cartagena and Torrevieja. Some excellent roads in Spain these days.

I will be 60 this year and have had small bikes nearly all my adult life, including a 1968 BSA Bantam D14/14 175cc, Norman Nippy moped (that was a project that I never got on the road!), two Honda C50s (1964 and 1971) and a 1978 MZ 125

My DIY skills are fairly limited, but I do my own oil and filter changes, chain maintenance etc.

Developed an oil leak recently, which turned out to be the cylinder gasket blown. (The gasket between the crankcase and the cylinder). Being fixed at the local Suzuki dealer at the moment, with an estimate of around 160 Euros, to include an oil and filter change and chain lubrication and adjustment. It was due an oil change, so I thought I would get them to do it at the same time.

Only found this forum a couple of days ago and I have to say I have been engrossed in reading it since. Particularly interested in the threads about 16 tooth front socket. Very interesting and informative.

Looking forward to getting involved.

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Buenas Tardes from Murcia

Welcome to the forum.!! :cool:

Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Rookie Rider

Welcome aboard, youre gonna love it here.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Welcome Fawlty. We will look forward to your experiences on a GZ. Do post pics of your bike and the roads you ride. It is always nice to see different areas of the world through the eyes of another rider.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawlty
Hi. I am a UK expat
Hi there. So am I. I've been in Tenerife for the last ten years. Six years older than you, though. Whereabouts in England are you from?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Hi. I am a UK expat
Hi there. So am I. I've been in Tenerife for the last ten years. Six years older than you, though. Whereabouts in England are you from?
Hi. I was born in Manchester but moved to South Staffs when I was 10. Lived in Pelsall and Walsall Wood (now in the West Midlands), until we moved out here. Never been to Tenerife, but did go to Fuerteventura once and liked it a lot.

We live in a small Spanish village 5k from the coast. No other non Spanish here, but that doesn't bother us. Nice and peaceful. 5 bars (don't know how they all survive at the moment), one shop and one church.

How is 'la crisis' affecting things where you are? Lots of businesses closing down over here and not much light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Welcome Fawlty. We will look forward to your experiences on a GZ. Do post pics of your bike and the roads you ride. It is always nice to see different areas of the world through the eyes of another rider.

Will do, when I get it back. I see you are from Squamish. Stopped overnight there in 2006, on the way into Vancouver. We had been to my sisters wedding up at Canim Lake. Loved BC, fantastic place.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
alantf

Quote:

We live in a small Spanish village 5k from the coast. No other non Spanish here, but that doesn't bother us. Nice and peaceful. 5 bars (don't know how they all survive at the moment)
Hows about that? so do we! We're up amongst the vineyards & banana plantations. I know what you mean about the bars. There's one every few yards. And yes, half the shops have shut down. With such a high rate of unemployment nobody has the extra money for anything other than the essentials, & with everything having to be imported to the island, they have us over a barrel, & charge us much more than mainland Spain.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #9
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina, US. Ride safe.