Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #21
Nate4s

Re: Bike Bogging Down While Riding

There is no explanation of what that hose is on the parts fiche. Do you have 4 hoses plugged into your carburetor (not counting the choke cable as a "hose")? Float bowl drain is on the bottom, top-right-front is the vacuum hose, top-left-back is the fuel hose, and the hose in question is on the top-right-back of the carburetor. Mine runs back over the battery and points down towards the ground - it's almost a foot long. What does it do? Maybe it was supposed to suck up spiders/cocoons and I just didn't know any better... :lol:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #22
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4s
There is no explanation of what that hose is on the parts fiche. Do you have 4 hoses plugged into your carburetor (not counting the choke cable as a "hose")? Float bowl drain is on the bottom, top-right-front is the vacuum hose, top-left-back is the fuel hose, and the hose in question is on the top-right-back of the carburetor. Mine runs back over the battery and points down towards the ground - it's almost a foot long. What does it do? Maybe it was supposed to suck up spiders/cocoons and I just didn't know any better... :lol:
Mine never had that hose.But on carbs that have a hose like that,It is a vent/over flow hose & must remain unrestricted & open or the bike will not rev with bogging.Not sure if that is what yours is,but is what it sounds like.It been almost 3 years since I had my G.Z but I would have remembered a long hose like that.
:cool:

Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 AM   #23
alantf

[attachment=0:1o6yml86]b17.JPG[/attachment:1o6yml86]

Has your bike got one of these? On my European GZ, this is a crank case ventilator, and that accounts for the extra hose, although it goes to the petcock, not the carb, with an extra tee piece.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #24
Nate4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Has your bike got one of these? On my European GZ, this is a crank case ventilator, and that accounts for the extra hose, although it goes to the petcock, not the carb, with an extra tee piece.
Nope! Although I kind of wish I had one of those...I'll take a photo at some point, just for fun.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #25
Nate4s

FIXED!!! I installed the new air mixture screw (pilot jet screw) and a piece of fuel line to that previously clogged other line....and now it starts, idles, and drives like a normal GZ! Thanks for the help everyone!

I do have one more issue. My speedometer had a cracked housing (the white plastic part under the chrome), was missing the glass, and the cable had sheered off inside of the speedo-cable housing. I actually pulled the entire speedo apart (which is actually extremely difficult - I had to bend the metal from the front of the housing to get to the internals) to put a new piece of "glass" (actually plastic) in it, and glued the cracked housing back together. I got a new speedo cable and lubed the mechanism on the front wheel, but it's reading what appears to be 10mph off - not a percentage, just a linear 10 mph. Any thoughts on what could be causing this huge discrepancy? It say's I'm going 17 mph in my driveway...which I've never achieved on my other GZ or SV650. Thanks again!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #26
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I have an old stationary bike that has the same speedo problem. With fixed gear, mechanical speedometers, once that happens, unless you want to take the whole thing apart and find the spring that has been stretched out of shape or the gear that has jumped it's cog, you just need to replace it.

However, honestly, just do the math in the head and live with it. I mean, it's a $400 bike that now runs like a champ. You can tell everyone you've hit 90MPH on the GZ with no problem and you technically wouldn't be lying.

I'm glad you got this sorted out, man. There is nothing better than knowing that the reason the bike is working at all is because of your handy-work. It's what makes a $400 bike priceless.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #27
Nate4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
However, honestly, just do the math in the head and live with it. I mean, it's a $400 bike that now runs like a champ. You can tell everyone you've hit 90MPH on the GZ with no problem and you technically wouldn't be lying.

I'm glad you got this sorted out, man. There is nothing better than knowing that the reason the bike is working at all is because of your handy-work. It's what makes a $400 bike priceless.
I suppose I don't have any real issue with it. You're correct about it being a successful $400 purchase! I'll make my GF drive around with me and get some actual comparison numbers for the most common speeds in town. The only reason I wanted it to be within "normal" GZ spec was because my girlfriend likes to make any excuse possible to not want to drive it. Oddly enough, she's the one who wanted me to buy it for her and claims to REALLY want to learn how to drive it. O_o
Old 11-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #28
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Women.....

I would say something derogatory or slanderous, but let's face it... We need 'em and love 'em anyway.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #29
DAN

Once I had an oddball problem with the engine reving and dying, would not idle, acted strangely. It turned out that I had left the fuel selector in "PRI" and the carb overflowed into the air box (reved on the fumes then died) and excess fuel filled the crankcase oil. An oil change and airbox flush cured the problem. Moral of the story; don't leave the fuel selector in "PRI". --Dan--
100cc and 125cc honda CB
350cc yamaha twin - 1970
160cc honda -1966 model
350cc honda CB 1970
350cc honda SL
650 Yamaha 1972
F650gs BMW 2007
Virago 750 Yamaha 1996
Old 12-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #30
Water Warrior 2

A cheap easy way to know your correct speed is to use a bicycle speedo. They are more accurate than the OEM unit and you can mount it where you like.