Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Road_Clam

Just my luck, voltage regulator took a dump ,quick test DIY

So I bought this bike for my wife, and we took the bike to our favorite testing grounds (she's just learning how to ride) . She is practicing slow speed manuevers for about an hour. I decide to take the bike for a quick high speed "cool down" ride as I was nervous about the engine running too hot from continued slow speed running. I get the bike up to speed and i feel the engine struggling to reach higher rpm's . I turn around and head back to the parking lot. I shut the bike off and have a quick look, everything is ok ? I try to restart the bike and I barely get a crank over from the starter, ok now I know what's going on. So I charge the batt with jumper cables for about 10 min and take the bike back home. Here's the simple steps to isolate a charge issue.

1) Charge your battery overnight. test and it should read approx 12.7 V .

2) If your battery tests good (as mine did it tested 12.9V), now you need to check for sufficient charging voltage. You need 13.4 to approx 14.7 V at 5000 rpm's . Don't test at engine idle as the voltage will be insufficient.
in my test I tested 12.6 V (no good ! ) So ok, I have a charging issue.

3) The next step is to isolate weather I have a bad stator or a bad regulator, and the quick way to do this is test the stator's no-load output. There is a black 3 wire plug that enters the voltage regulator clamped to the frame . You may or may not have to remove the fuel tank to get at the plug. (i didn't have to remove my tank) . You want to test the female side of the plug. There is 3 yellow wires. These are each of the phase out wires of the stator. You want to jump all three random pairs of wires at take a voltage readings. Start the engine and again bring the rpm's up to about 5000. Each reading needs to be >60V . All three of my readings were about 70V at 5000 rpm's . So bingo I quickly deduced my fault to my regulator. If your stator tests good, the only component left than can be faulty is your regulator. I purchased a Rick's regulator for $84 new off ebay. I've had severall issues over the past with Suzuki charging components, and they suck as far as OEM. My GZ only has 4k for miles and already the regulator crapped out so im looking aftermarket.... Hope this helped.

Rich
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
OldNTired

Re: Just my luck, voltage regulator took a dump ,quick test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam
So I bought this bike for my wife, and we took the bike to our favorite testing grounds (she's just learning how to ride) . She is practicing slow speed manuevers for about an hour. I decide to take the bike for a quick high speed "cool down" ride as I was nervous about the engine running too hot from continued slow speed running. I get the bike up to speed and i feel the engine struggling to reach higher rpm's . I turn around and head back to the parking lot. I shut the bike off and have a quick look, everything is ok ? I try to restart the bike and I barely get a crank over from the starter, ok now I know what's going on. So I charge the batt with jumper cables for about 10 min and take the bike back home. Here's the simple steps to isolate a charge issue.

1) Charge your battery overnight. test and it should read approx 12.7 V .

2) If your battery tests good, now you need to check for sufficient charging voltage. You need 13.4 to approx 14.7 V at 5000 rpm's . Don't test at engine idle as the voltage will be insufficient.
in my test I tested 12.6 V (no good ! ) So ok, I have a charging issue.

3) The next step is to isolate weather I have a bad stator or a bad regulator, and the quick way to do this is test the stator's no-load output. There is a black 3 wire plug that enters the voltage regulator clamped to the frame . You may or may not have to remove the fuel tank to get at the plug. (i didn't have to remove my tank) . You want to test the female side of the plug. There is 3 yellow wires. These are each of the phase out wires of the stator. You want to jump all three random pairs of wires at take a voltage readings. Start the engine and again bring the rpm's up to about 5000. Each reading needs to be >60V . All three of my readings were about 70V at 5000 rpm's . So bingo I quickly deduced my fault to my regulator. If your stator tests good, the only component left than can be faulty is your regulator. I purchased a Rick's regulator for $84 new off ebay. I've had severall issues over the past with Suzuki charging components, and they suck as far as OEM. My GZ only has 4k for miles and already the regulator crapped out so im looking aftermarket.... Hope this helped.

Rich

Excellent, and as you should remember I got a bit of experience with this.
But, one change:
you should specify that the stator voltages are AC before someone blows out a meter testing them.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired

But, one change:
you should specify that the stator voltages are AC before someone blows out a meter testing them.
Good additional info. My multi-tester is "self sensing" It automatically chooses the current type and range as soon as I make the connections. :2tup:
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)

Old 05-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
OldNTired

Quote:
Quote:

But, one change:
Good additional info. My multi-tester is "self sensing" It automatically chooses the current type and range as soon as I make the connections. :2tup:

LOL! Showoff! The one I use for my bike I picked up for $3 on sale!
I use the expensive ones for precision work.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But, one change:

LOL! Showoff! The one I use for my bike I picked up for $3 on sale!
I use the expensive ones for precision work.
My meter is smarter than yours. Hah, you are just jealous. :lol: :lol:

Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Road_Clam

You guys should all be jeleous, I have an "i meter" Not only can check any type of current, and d/l apps and browse the internet ! :neener:
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)
Old 05-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
You guys should all be jeleous, I have an "i meter" Not only can check any type of current, and d/l apps and browse the internet ! :neener:
Now you are just showing off. :techy: :techy:
Old 05-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
OldNTired

[quote=Water Warrior]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Road_Clam":1evrspxc
Now you are just showing off. :techy: :techy:[/quote:1evrspxc]

All three of ya are showing off!!
But in the end, I have you all beat:
I have a future son-in-law to do my meter readings if I need him to,
he's an electrician,
with all kinds of equipment,
and he won't charge me! :Haha

Hope you all have a great Memorial Day!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
eclynn1

Thanks for the post, I'm having a problem with my grandsons 2000 model GZ-250 charging system. I was wondering how to test the stator and regulator. You mentioned the three yellow wires from the stator, saying to jumper and pair them to take readings. My question is what do you pair them to? Do all three yellow wires need to be tied together to take the reading?
Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #10
alantf

Download the manuals from this site. It'll tell you EXACTLY how to do it. If you're still not sure, come back to us & we'll try to show you step by step.