Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
Tonckawa

The closest Suzuki dealer is across town from me so I buy at least 2 filters each time I am there. They cost $4.75 (US) each. I just changed my oil for the very first time at 338 miles. Took me all of 30 minutes (cause I was waiting for the oil to drip out.) Yes, back of bike was elevated. The filter was blackish and a little metal shavings on it.

It took a 17 mm wrench to get oil plug off. 10 mm wrench to get nuts off oil filter plate. I used a pan that I got at the emergency room to drain oil in. Be careful of spring on plate that holds filter in place and be sure to place the gasket back in the groove on the plate side when placing plate back on bike.

Put old oil back in new oil can I just used to put new oil in and drop it off at a Pep-Boys. Will change oil again at 600 miles.

One BIG thing I do is keep a detailed maintenance record. I use my home computer to keep all my vehicles maintenance records. I make up a form with 3 columns on it. One for the date, one for mileage and the last for the description of anything done including costs. I also put the day I bought the vehicle and VIN number at top of page. I print out a new page each time I do something on the vehicle and place it in a file folder I keep of all other paperwork (Title, warranty, insurance, etc...). I even take several pictures of the vehicle at different angles when I first bought it and put in file folder. I take no chances. It's called COVER YOUR ASS!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Re: motorcycle shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Do you honestly believe the Gz uses a one of a kind oil filter ?
Maybe not but it's kind of beside the point.

While I don't know for SURE, I'm betting that the average Joe or Jane can not walk into Auto Zone or NAPA, etc, ask for an oil filter for a Suzuki GZ 250 and walk out with anything.

NOW, if by some quirk of fate, or a LOT of digging around, you have discovered that the same filter is also used on something else..........that IS stocked at Auto Zone.....then that is great.......but it does not change the fact that, in general, one can NOT get motorcycle parts at the Auto shop. And that WAS the original question......wasn't it ?? :??:
Old 06-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
Sarris

Oil Filter

Please let us know if you find a chain auto parts store that carries our oil filter!!

Thanks.

:rawk:

Login or Register to Remove Ads