Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Old School

Engine Question Compatability

I have a 2000 GZ, a 2009 engine found me because of the ad I posted on this site. So the questions for those of you long time GZ folks is this...will the 2009 engine work in my 2000 GZ? Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Engine Question Compatability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I have a 2000 GZ, a 2009 engine found me because of the ad I posted on this site. So the questions for those of you long time GZ folks is this...will the 2009 engine work in my 2000 GZ? Thanks
Yep.Bolt right up. :cool:

Old 03-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Old School

Talked to local Suzuki dealer and they said that with nine years between the bikes that there would be modifications to cables and such that would need to be made. They said it would become a real "project" so they would not do it if I brought it to them. I was planning on doing it myself, but if there techs would refuse the job I probly don't want to try it.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Go to Ronayers.com and compare the 2 different years. The part numbers and pics will give you some info to work with. Cable housings, cables, air box and carb boots etc. I can't see a dealer refusing work unless he thinks a new bike might be a good deal for him and a bigger cost to you.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Talked to local Suzuki dealer and they said that with nine years between the bikes that there would be modifications to cables and such that would need to be made. They said it would become a real "project" so they would not do it if I brought it to them. I was planning on doing it myself, but if there techs would refuse the job I probly don't want to try it.
I seriously doubt that there is substantial diffeences between a '00 and the '09 except for emissions. The GZ is a well engineered purpose built criuiser that is aimed at the beginner rider. performance and advanced technology are NOT factors with the GZ's model advancement. So when something works great "leave it alone" . Same goes for the Honda Rebel 250, the Kawasaki KE100 , These bikes have been basically unchanged for the past 20 years. My only suggestion is try to get the carb that matches the '09 engine just for emmisions compliance. I'll bet the '00 carb will bolt right on to the '09 engine, but this way you have options. Good luck !

Rich
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)

Old 03-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam

I seriously doubt that there is substantial diffeences between a '00 and the '09 except for emissions. The GZ is a well engineered purpose built criuiser that is aimed at the beginner rider. performance and advanced technology are NOT factors with the GZ's model advancement. So when something works great "leave it alone" . Same goes for the Honda Rebel 250, the Kawasaki KE100 , These bikes have been basically unchanged for the past 20 years. My only suggestion is try to get the carb that matches the '09 engine just for emmisions compliance. I'll bet the '00 carb will bolt right on to the '09 engine, but this way you have options. Good luck !

Rich
:plus1: :plus1: