Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 10-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
KFC-GZ

Rusty gas tank

Has anyone had an issue with rust on inside of the gas tank, to the point that the flaking metal is messing up the carburetor? The bike is 11 years old and I just bought it. And if you have, what success have you had with acid washes???

Thanks

KFC-GZ
2005 GZ250
1999 Vulcan 800

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Rusty gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC-GZ
Has anyone had an issue with rust on inside of the gas tank, to the point that the flaking metal is messing up the carburetor? The bike is 11 years old and I just bought it. And if you have, what success have you had with acid washes???

Thanks

KFC-GZ
2005 GZ250
1999 Vulcan 800
I here acid wash & a liquid liner work well.I have some surface rust on the inside of the tank of my 90 Kawasaki,but nowhere near the point of flaking.I use a quality in line filter & have no problems.
:cool:

Old 10-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
mrlmd1

I have used the products from http://www.por15.com/ on a rusty gas tank for an old outboard motor with good success.
Or you can try many other products that work in similar ways like this article explains, and maybe send the tank out to be done professionally if you don't want to do it yourself - http://www.rusteco.com/MotorcycleCruiser.htm.
Do a google search for treatment of a rusty gas tank and you'll get numerous suggestions on how to repair that.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
I here acid wash & a liquid liner work well.
If done absolutely correctly. Lots of riders have trouble with Kreem; I'd avoid that one.

The best "fix" is a new tank. In my opinion, the next best is to clean out the loose rust as much as possible and install a good inline filter. That will probably mean cleaning all the screens at least every couple of years and replacing the filter often.

The tank coating is a LOT of work. If it doesn't "take" it would be a real shame.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

A friend of mine did the acid wash and coating to an old 500 Shadow he found last spring. Worked well and the total cost was a lot cheaper than hunting down a new tank.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
sc_frontier

Put BBs in the gas tank and give it a thorough shaking, gas rinse, then run a cheap fuel filter and replace often.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
DBG

I know this is old, but I once had a bike that I had found in the woods of Mississippi. Everything was all together and it wasn't even seized, but the gas tank was full of rust. I used the electrolysis method and it took nearly all the rust off. You basically fill a bin full of water and baking soda, then place a hunk of disposable metal, and the gas tank, in the water. Then you attach a car battery charger to each. There are videos of exactly how to do this on youtube. It takes rust off anything... tools, parts, etc. The best part is that it doesn't damage anything. The process basically takes the rust off the gas tank, or whatever else youre cleaning, and plates it onto the scrap metal. Check it out.