Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
minieggroll

Bent handlebars

Hello!

So I dropped my bike for the first time today while turning and needing to brake due to the vehicle in front of me. The handlebars are slightly bent and I can't seem to lock the bike when parked using the "off" key position.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks!

PS: Thankfully I expected to drop it eventually and was wearing all my jacket, glove, pants armor and FF helmet so I was fine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
alantf

Re: Bent handlebars

Do you mean lock the steering? "off" only switches the engine off. You have to move the key to the "lock" position to lock the bars.

As for the bent bars - this often happens when the gz goes down. When mine went down, and while waiting for the new bars to arrive, the bike shop guy used a short length of scaffolding pole, on the end of the bars, to bend them back into shape.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
minieggroll

Yeah I mean they key won't allow me to turn to the "lock" position now. Normally before I dropped the bike, I would turn the handlebars to the left and turn the key to the lock position. Now, since the bars are bent I think the wheel won't turn far enough to let me lock it.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by minieggroll

PS: Thankfully I expected to drop it eventually and was wearing all my jacket, glove, pants armor and FF helmet so I was fine.
Your gear just paid for itself. Now that you have worn the "NEW" off the bike you can relax and ride.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by minieggroll
since the bars are bent I think the wheel won't turn far enough to let me lock it.
I don't think that bent bars alone would stop you turning the steering into the lock position. Yet, dropping the bike at low speed doesn't seem enough to have affected the steering geometry. If this is the case, you may need to have it checked over by the bike shop to see what's been knocked out of true. Remember - it's your life that's at risk if you're riding with a steering geometry problem.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
minieggroll

Just double checked this morning. The handlebars appear fine (only windshield was bent, but I managed to bend it back) and the lock just needs a little wiggle of the wheel to lock so everything seems okay now.

Luckily, there's just a small scratch about an inch long on the front fender. These bikes are built like tanks lol. I went down at 25 mph in a turn and slid a good 15 ft.