Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
sportpsyc

Thanks for the opportunity!

Howdy from Aggieland! I am in College Station, Texas, and I have not one, but TWO of these bikes at the current moment. A 2001 and a 2006. Long story about how I wound up with two of them....A long story that makes my wife REALLY happy to tell.
I have been reading on the site for a while, and now my desire to post has overcome me, and so I joined.
Not to stir things up right off the bat, but I noticed the footer on someone's post says "Loud pipes risk rights". You know, that is an interesting thing. Every state and country is different. About some issues, VASTLY different. For instance, I love England. Love English people. But they are so micromanaged and over-regulated by the government, that you have to have a permit to own a chain saw capable of being operated with one hand (such as a small trim saw)! Texas, on the other hand, actually ENCOURAGES loud motorcycle pipes. Let me explain. I had my "M" endorsement on my license in college, but I dropped it soon after because I got tired of paying the extra fee. When I rode, I just rode without the extra endorsement, and I never had a problem, even after getting pulled over. When I recently got crap from my wife for "breaking the law"(yes, please heap pity on me--I have to live with her), I went and took the test. In the study book, the Texas motorcycle advisory states that the problem with motorcycles is other drivers not being aware of their presence. They actually say this--what ever you can do, visible or audible, to make other drivers aware of your presence, is recommended. They included as an example bright colored clothes, and a loud horn used liberally to alert drivers to your presence. No where did it mention loud pipes being a civil rights issue, or noise pollution. After owning a 1981 H-D FXWG Wideglide that had a 1540cc S&S stroker with two shorty pipes with no mufflers, I got nothing but accolades and gawking form cops from Dallas to Houston. If you live here in Texas, you know what I mean--they just don't care about that here. It is a shame that someone is scared of loosing rights as a cycle enthusiast for having loud pipes. That hooks my disdain for paternalistic laws. I think that is why even though I wear one, I am happy we don't have a helmet law here either.
So too much for a first post? :-)
I will be posting a PILE of parts I need to get rid of (both of my bikes started as non-operational bikes that I fixed), so if anyone's interested....
Thanks everyone, and thanks for all the information I have found on here! Maybe I can share a little of what I have learned re-building the two great GZ's I have. I love this bike!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Thanks for the opportunity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpsyc
It is a shame that someone is scared of loosing rights as a cycle enthusiast for having loud pipes. That hooks my disdain for paternalistic laws. I think that is why even though I wear one, I am happy we don't have a helmet law here either.
Welcome! Nothing like stirring up the guanno right off the bat! :roll:

I agree with you about the Nanny State. Seat belts, helmets, .........the "government" has no business dictating things that should be a matter of personal choice......for consenting adults.

One must be careful, however, as to how you categorize things. Your right to swing your fist STOPS at my nose......and your right to make noise stops at MY ears. There is a Federal Law that prohibits the modification of intake or exhaust systems if the change creates more noise (or pollution) than stock. It's pretty much un-enforcable but it IS there.

I think that the "straight pipes, the louder the better" mentality is a symptom of an inconsiderate butt hole. Combine that with the unfair public tendency to lump all bikers together...." There goes another SOB biker with loud pipes" and, yes, I strongly believe that loud pipes do indeed risk the rights of ALL riders.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

"They just don't care about that here." If I lived in Texas I would care. You might be talking to the wrong people about noise. Not everyone in Texas or anywhere else for that matter is a fan of loud pipes. Loud horns and loud clothing are good, loud pipes on the other hand are not everyone's cup of tea.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-18-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
turbo chicken

i tried several time to make a post for ya at work... but somehow it never ended up being posted

i live north of you in DFW area... .howdy!