Does anyone what kind of oil filter the
GZ 250 uses? I want to buy one of the
stainless steel reuseable oil filters to replace
what I have on there now

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Sarris

Re: Oil filter

The GeeZer does not have a cartridge style filter. It's oil filter is an internal disposable filter that is accessed through the cover on the right side of the engine and is about 3" in diameter and about 1-1/2" thick. I pay about $3 or $4 each for them + the o-rings.

I don't think anyone makes a serviceable stainless reusable filter for it.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

HIFLO makes a filter for the GZ. #HF136. Quite common in a lot of smaller engines and available at auto parts store, bike shops and power sports stores selling snow machines and other toys. I wouldn't bother with a reusable filter because of the clean up and time involved. Disposable filters are cheap and effective.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I don't think anyone makes a serviceable stainless reusable filter for it.
I think you're right.....because it's a whole different ball game.

The oil filter on the GZ works kind of like an air filter......in that you only change the "cartridge" anyway. The "resueable housing" is the whole engine !! :biggrin:

P.S. MissKim: Where did you get that idea in the first place ?? Wherever it WAS, you should treat that source of information as "questionable"!! We have many experts right HERE that will keep you pointed in the right direction.......well, sometimes we point in different directions but then all you have to do is figure out which one is right !!!! :cool: :crackup
Old 04-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
music man

Granted, this one doesn't look like it fits the GZ, but it is a very similar filter, so you could probably cross reference and find one that fits.http://www.amazon.com/REUSABLE-STAINLES ... 537&sr=8-3

Having said that, I am with everyone else, I don't think it is worth messing with on the GZ, but to each his own. On the other hand, it does "claim" to be a more effective filter, and "supposedly" has a higher flow rate, so it could be worth it, but I doubt it.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

The GZ uses a cartridge filter, you can't get anything else for it without mocking something up. Not my idea of smart when you're dealing with the oil system.

The oil filter numbers I've collected are:

OEM: 19-0249 - BikeBandit
K&N: KN-136 - BikeBandit <-- I use this when ordering other things from BB at the same time.
Fram: CH6000 - Almost any local autoparts store
HiFlo: HF136 - CheapCycleParts.com <-- I use this when just ordering filters.
BikeMaster: JO-S107 - CheapCycleParts.com
Old 04-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Granted, this one doesn't look like it fits the GZ, but it is a very similar filter, so you could probably cross reference and find one that fits.http://www.amazon.com/REUSABLE-STAINLES ... 537&sr=8-3

Having said that, I am with everyone else, I don't think it is worth messing with on the GZ, but to each his own. On the other hand, it does "claim" to be a more effective filter, and "supposedly" has a higher flow rate, so it could be worth it, but I doubt it.
The problem here is, why do stainless steel when you have an INTERNAL filter that's covered by a brushed aluminum cap anyway? Just to add weight? The filter shouldn't be in the bike long enough for the normal aluminum to melt away, degrade, or otherwise be in any condition it was at manufacture. I understand it's "Reusable", but that's a lot of work to save about $4, AND you're going to still have to buy the washers every time you clean it. These things are gimmicks. Avoid them like the plague. Use a new, clean aftermarket filter, made for the bike, that comes with the o-rings every time and you won't look like a mook cleaning your filter for an hour while changing it should only take about 5 minutes.

Ridiculous.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
I understand it's "Reusable", but that's a lot of work to save about $4,

These things are gimmicks. Avoid them like the plague.
Absolutely right for the GZ and the way it is designed.........and I also agree that anything that claims BOTH better filtration AND increased flow at the same time is to be suspect, since that's almost impossible to do if the filter area is the same.........
BUT.......
It actually makes a little sense if you have a "spin on" cartridge filter, like what is on cars and trucks. A lot of the bigger bikes have them and they are visible. The stainless steel cover would LOOK better if nothing else.

AND we all know how important LOOK is for some riders.......... :hide:
Old 04-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
music man

Actually Patrick, the filter element itself is stainless steel, like a screen in your screen door I guess. But the sentiment is still the same here, It is not worth it when you are talking about a Motorcycle that the filter only costs 3-4 bucks in, Even if these things work as good as they claim they do. Just like Patrick said, the little bit of money you save is not going to be worth it by the time you have to clean that thing over and over again.

But again, the reason why I posted that link to a similar looking one to the GZ filter is, you asked for help in getting the stainless steel filter you wanted.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #10
Strelok

Oil filters

Came across this website that cut open some Oil Filters
and exposed how cheaply some were made with cardboard
parts instead of metal end caps. If this is to be believed it
looks like Fram & the Yamaha OEM Oil Filters are to be avoided:
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/fram.shtml
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/yamaha.shtml

Looks like Emgo, HiFlo & Suzuki OEM are okay:
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/emgo.shtml
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/hiflo303.shtml
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/suzuki.shtml

Keep in mind the author was cutting open the
ones made for his Bikes but it wouldn't surprise
me if they were made the same for other Bikes too.

:popcorn: