Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 06-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
ride_with_pride

How bad is outside?

Hey guys I'm new to riding and bikes. That's why I have a question is it really bad if my bike stays outside the whole summer? "I don't have a garage that's why for the time I'm going to be riding it will be parked outside. What's the worst that can go wrong with it??? Thanks in advance!

Another thing is my friend trying to buy a bike and a lot of them don't have titles and people selling it say that they gonna give him bill of sale. My question is will state issue a license plate for the bike if there is no title for it but just a bill of sale??? And how hard is it to get a title afterwards???

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
JWR

Re: How bad is outside?

Just get a good cover.

If the bike does not run or have correct paperwork...run.

There is nothing good that will come from a deal as this.
At best he will wind up with a parts bike, at worst???

There are too many good bikes for sale to worry about trying to straighten out somebody's mess.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 06-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
burkbuilds

My 500 stays outside all the time, year round, and I only cover it if there's a chance of a hail storm. I ride it in heavy rain, hot sun, and everything in between. In two years and 37,000 miles I have not had any weather related problems. Keep the chain oiled and clean and lube the cables regularly and you will probably have no trouble either.

I second JWR on the bike buying. It's not worth it. If they lost the title, let them go through the hassle of getting a lost title replacement, no need for you to take a risk like that. It took my son-in-law over six months to get a new title for his "bargain" bike and it cost him, not only the lost title fee's but the state required him to take it 100 miles away, pay over $100 in inspection fee's, and have it inspected at a state licensed inspection facility before they'd issue the new title and tags.

Tell your friends to spend their time looking for someone who took good care of a bike, but didn't ride it to death and can show you maintenance records and when you go to look at the bike it matches what they say, starts up and runs well and they have all the correct paperwork.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
mole2

Most ALL the states will not issue a new title without the seller signing over the old title. The seller will have to get a new title in his state and sign it over to you. If not....run away fast. It could be a stolen bike. A bill of sale means nothing without a title.