Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 03-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
rayzuki

squeeky front brake

I went out for a ride today. had a great time. as I get more experience I am finding more things out. I found out today I have a squeeky front brake. As I walk the bike I can hear the disk rub the brake almost as if the rotor is bent. I hear the rub and as the wheel rotates it goes away then full circle comes back. What should I do?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: squeeky front brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzuki
I hear the rub and as the wheel rotates it goes away then full circle comes back. What should I do?
Perfectly normal......for a Suzuki, anyway.
If it really bothers you, get some different front pads.
Otherwise, just wait unitl they are worn, then don't use OEM replacements.

OK, I see that you have made several other new posts. So far, the answers to your questions could have been found by using the SEARCH box in the upper right-hand corner.......or just browsing pervious posts.
Try that out, please.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
mcintyre_aerospace

Another problem I saw with the GZ is the rear brake. On the inside of the brake drum, on the actual wheel there are little fins that look like turbines, what use they serve I do not know, probably cooling. Anyways, on my bike there would be a squeak if I rolled the bike a foot or so, so I stripped the back brake apart and found that one or both of the little springs that hold the brake shoes in place was rubbing on the little fins. It hasnt effected my braking capabilities, but it will get annoying after a while. I have yet to hear my front brake squeak, but before I got new brake pads on the front, there was some constant contact causing a little scraping sound. You might want to replace the pads, their really simple to replace, takes me only around 5 to 10 minutes, plus their not expensive a all.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
rayzuki

that is a better description. I hear a scraping sound while rolling the bike around in the garage. I hear brake squeak when I soft on the front brakes slowing down to a stop.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzuki
I hear a scraping sound while rolling the bike around in the garage. I hear brake squeak when I soft on the front brakes slowing down to a stop.
Once more with feeling:
Both those noises are probably perfectly normal. This is assuming that the pads/shoes are not worn out.

If you don't know how to tell if they are worn out, visit the dealer and they can show you how to tell.
And while there, they can give you a real opinion on the scraping noise.
Opinoins posted in forums are really just guesses.......and wild ones, most of the time !! :roll:

The fronts will squeal a little less if you use them a little harder a few times (must be repeated each ride).

Old 03-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
rayzuki

Its a 2003 with 785 miles on it. I have only put on about 50. I don't think the pads are worn out. Maybe your right. I am worrying about the little things. The only problem is I don't know which things to worry about and which are no big deal so I will worry about everything for a while. At least while I am still learning.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

The squeaky front brake is due to oxidation on the disc. Entirely normal. A couple fairly hard applications of front brake will burn it off. Do it in a straight line for safety though, not while turning or in a high speed curve. On the rear brake a little emery cloth will remove the oxidation from the drum itself. Also, years ago after slogging through mud and water with dirt bikes the rear would be 100 % ineffective. Not a good thing. After drying out, emery cloth on the drum and a very light sand blasting of the brake shoes to clean them up returned the rear brake to near perfect performance. Cheap and effective everytime. The sand blasting should take any glazing off a street bike rear brake.............Now get out and ride. A parked bike is not a happy bike.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
mcintyre_aerospace

The town I live in is pretty small, so I dont get too worried about breaking down, If something is going to mess up, it will, and then Ill fix it. For people in bigger towns, id probly look into something I wasnt sure about, so you have the right Idea. Warrior is right, new bikes allways tend to have a break in time of around im guessing 1000 miles or something, my friends ninja needs about that before you ride it too hard or fast.