Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Trouble starting all the time

A little contact cleaner in the ignition and kill switch is probably a good start as suggested. Sounds like it may need to be idled up a smidge from what you say. Best lube the choke cable and confirm it is working properly. From the sounds of things the bike just needs a little TLC and regular riding to keep it happy. You can rely on the experience and knowledge of members here. We all like happy bikes and no SNAFU's.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2010, 04:49 AM   #12
alantf

Even though it SEEMS to be the ignition switch, I'd still put my money on the red kill switch. Next time it won't start, just for an experiment, try flicking it on/off 5 or 6 times. Like I said before, it can't hurt to try it. :2tup:
Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skookum
Could their be a short in this, and if so can I go around the switch (hot wire) to test the theory? I'm no expert with electrical trouble but that does seem to be the direction ever thing is pointing.
Given what you just said, no.
You can "prove" your switch theory by pulling the plug wire when it's in that state; if you are getting spark, then the ignition switch is NOT the problem.

YOu also can trace the wires going to the switch and re-plug all the connectors.
Flushing the switch our with contact cleaner might help too.

From your description, I'd bet a round of beers for the house that your idle speed is WAY too low. That not only will make it more prone to stall but harder to start too. Your comment about stalling at stop signs and THEN putting the choke back on .......indicates that you are still not using the choke properly.

AND if it takes 3 tries to start cold......with half choke and NO throttle......then you need another round of carb cleaner........or a new battery. Something isn't right if it won't start on the first try.

Is everything on the bike still stock.....pipes, air filter, etc. ??

Old 01-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #14
michaelr

Thanks to everyone on this thread. I live in Seattle, and had a problem after not riding during the recent snow (didn't ride for @ 8 days, my bike lives outside \ uncovered) it would crank over but would not start. After trying for a couple of minutes the battery went dead pretty quick and trying to push start it was a real bear. After reading this thread I learned the following, which resolved my issue:

1. Full choke makes push starting harder, 1\2 choke requires less engine pressure to turn over
2. Engaging the throttle overrides the choke
3. Set the choke at 1/2, put it in 2nd gear and don't use the throttle until it fires up
Old 01-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #15
blaine

Sounds like your battery may be a little weak.You should get it tested.Also after sitting for a week or so,you should put the petcock on "prime" to start,than turn it back to "run".You should also use a stabilizer cleaner in the tank to prevent carb problems,Which the G.Z. is notorious for.
:2tup: :rawk:

Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
Taylor09GZ

Im hoping its a weak battery or even a starter problem but i really hope its not in the top end of the motor... serious headache bro pistons, valves, seals exc. If changes battery don't work try checking the compression then go from there...
Old 03-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #17
geezer

have you idled it up? look for air leaks between the air box, carb, and intake manifold and also the exhaust system, everything has to be air tight. got an air filter?
Old 03-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #18
Water Warrior 2

This thread is from last August.