Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 04-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
dannylightning

Fitness. if you ride you should probably keep in shape

I feel that any one on a motorcycle should keep in shape and do a little bit of strength training, especially for new riders. the first time i pulled out my back at work i was down for 3 weeks. 3 weeks of setting around the house doing nothing. i cold barley walk, my legs had gotten a little on the week side and i got on my bike to go for a ride. i felt as tho i should not be on my bike because of it. i went back to work and started hauling 2-3 hundred lbs around on my dolly going up and down stairs and ramps, i quickly regained all the strength back in my legs. i got back on my bike and i no longer felt uncomfortable like i could easily drop the bike. upper body strength and lower body strength is important, you can get in a descent full body work out and only halve to spend 20 min a day 3 days a week or you can split up yor work out into two sections- arms, legs, shoulders and the next day chest and back.. i always try to keep my work out's under 30 min. on a heavy day i might spend a hour.

When working out i have always neglected my legs but ill throw 250+ lbs. on a bar and bench press away or get a pair of 30 lb dumbbells and do curls all day long, but i have never done any thing for my legs. i am going to revamp my workout routine, i got down this morning and started out on my total gym, that thing is pretty low impact. witch is good after a back injury, i kept it light and did not over do it. any time you have taken a long break or you are just starting out you need to take it extremely easy for the first few weeks any ways, you don't want to over do it or you are going to wake up the next morning sore as can be.

any one need a good work out program let me know, i can set you in the right direction, don't matter if you have a full gym, a few dumbbells or only some resistance bands. if need be you can fill up some empty milk jugs or something similar with water and use them for weights. i have been working out for many years and have acquired lots of fitness knowledge over the years.

i don't know much about diet and weight loss just building muscle, toning up and getting in shape. ill tell you this, a little big of working out will give you more energy and make you feel a lot better. always be safe and use proper form while working out. it is never too late to start getting your self in shape, the sooner you do it the better.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
dannylightning

Re: Fitness. if you ride you should probably keep in shape

here is a video i made for one of my friends a little while back. just a general full body work out that hits most of the important muscles in the body. doing these exercises would be a good start. you don't need a total gym to do them.

[youtube:22ylqu1m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4xTZ-HID6o[/youtube:22ylqu1m]

[youtube:22ylqu1m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWK1EtRuPP8[/youtube:22ylqu1m]
Old 04-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
BillInGA

This is a timely post, for me anyway.

I was pondering my planned trip to Colorado this summer. 1500 miles on the bike seems like it will be pretty taxing physically. So, I'm going amp up my strength and endurance training as part of my preparation.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
This is a timely post, for me anyway.

I was pondering my planned trip to Colorado this summer. 1500 miles on the bike seems like it will be pretty taxing physically. So, I'm going amp up my strength and endurance training as part of my preparation.
probably a good idea, any week or out of shape muscles will wear out quickly, you probably want to build for stamina a little more than strength in this case, i would suggest a lot of jogging and some exercise bike, i would also suggest to get some lighter weight and do a lot of reps, light weight will work your slow twitch muscles and the better the slow twitch muscle fibers are the better the muscle will be at providing lasting energy. Slow twitch fibers have a good blood supply, which greatly assists their ability to generate aerobic energy, energy that relies on oxygen to fuel the chemical reactions going on within the muscles that provide this lasting energy. constantly working your slow twitch muscles will not bulk you up much but it will tone up your muscles.

lifting heavy will build up your slow twitch muscle fibers, short story on that is your muscles will bulk up and gain short burst of explosive strength, that is great if you need to lift something heavy but that does not help much when it comes to endurance. if you only lift heavy you might be able to pick up something extremely heavy a few times but your will get worn out quickly. it is best to do both, go heavy one week and go light the next week that will work on strength and endurance.

if you want to go heavy and don't have a lot of weight, lift the weight very slowly, example push ups. go down as slow as you can, take about 3-5 seconds to lower your self and same goes for when you push your self back up. that will simulate lifting heavier weight than you really are.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
mrlmd1

Really not a good idea working out pressing 200# over your chest and neck without a spotter. You drop that on your chest = major trouble, fractured sternum, ribs. Drop it on your neck - fractured trachea = death. Another one of those things, better safe than sorry. I know, you're too strong to drop that, but I wouldn't promote that in a video.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Really not a good idea working out pressing 200# over your chest and neck without a spotter. You drop that on your chest = major trouble, fractured sternum, ribs. Drop it on your neck - fractured trachea = death. Another one of those things, better safe than sorry. I know, you're too strong to drop that, but I wouldn't promote that in a video.
no it is not a good idea at all unless you have a bench like i was using in this video. no one is too strong to have weight come down on their chest, when lifting for strength, the best technique is to go to you get muscle failure, when you cant get the weights back up is when you end your work out or move to lighter weight.

that bench has built in spot bars, if you watch that video again you will see 2 long bars attached to that bench, they just above chest level, i did 3 reps with 230lbs, on the third rep i could not get the bar back up, i got it about half way up and the bar came down quickly and landed on the spotter bars and i just slid out from under the bar. i have done that many of times with that bench.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
dannylightning

work out tip of the day,

Eating.

never work out on a full stomach, it will confuse your body and you will not get the results like you should, you should have a glass of water and a spoon full of peanut butter about a half hour before working out. that is about as much as you want to have in your stomach, why peanut butter, protein.

after working out you need to eat something asap, if you wait more than half a hour after your work out to eat or have a protein shake you will not get good results. right after a work out your muscles are starved for nutrients, protein especially.

general eating,

to build muscle you need to take in enough calories to gain weight. if you take in just enough calories to maintain your current weight you are not going to gain any muscle. what you should eat, fruit, veggies, chicken, pasta, steak. food with a lot of carbrs and protein are great.

here are a few links to calculate gaining muscle, loosing weight and maintaining your current weight.
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/wei...calculator.htm
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/

crazy fact. jay cuttler, professional body builder has to eat about 1,200.00 worth of food a week just to keep form loosing muscles. i cant imagine how many calories he takes in a day. even tho it is a massive amount he has no body fat, all of that food is being turned in to muscle and energy. i read that a few years ago and the guy is much bigger now, he probably eats a lot more now.