Old 12-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
tampadeb

Me on my next bike!

Maybe in June of 2009 I will be ready for the Honda 750

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Me on my next bike!

If you get it let us know how you like it compared to the GZ.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
tampadeb

I already know that sitting on it scares me to death!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampadeb
I already know that sitting on it scares me to death!
OK. Game over.
Too soon to be considering a bike that big......WAY too soon. :skull:

Probably too soon to be considering ANY "upgrade".
You will know the time is right when you sit on something slightly bigger than the GZ and it DOESN'T "scare you to death".

So, where did the 750 come from ??
Old 12-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

She's talking about June ... almost 7 months away. 7 months of Tampa riding weather. I'd say she'll probably be good to go if she feels the need.

BTW - Nice choice in motorcycles

Let me give you some websites to check out on that Shadow 750:
http://www.shadowriders.net/forums/ - best site out there for modding your shadow. the guys are harsh on noobs, but thats just to weed out the thin skinned. Let em give you a 'f off noob' welcome and you'll be 'in'. Best around when it comes to changing everything on your shadow (pipes, trees, rims, tires, kits....etc).

http://hondashadow.net/forum/ - a bit more on the gentler side, but much less to do about modding .. more of a conservative crowd that worries more about what saddlebags and windshield to get rather than shadownet where we worry more about how loud and low it is

What year shadow is that anyways? The yellow machine in my sig is an '02 with some special modifications. Click on the link below it to see what it USED to look like along with progress images up to what it is now.

Good luck!

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 12-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Dupo

Alan, to answer your question ......

They are a dream to ride compared to the GZ. Feels much more solid on the road along with a very nice ride suspension-wise. Lots o power, but not TOO much. Torque isnt evident in these as one would think, makes for a great cruiser .. but no off the line demon either. Stock seat sucks, much like any bike, most upgrade to a mustang for comfort or a solo like mine for looks and 'some' comfort (U shape fits your butt better). The factory forward controls let you stretch your legs out just a bit more, as if you had full time hiway bars. Both the brake and clutch pedals are adjustable for your feet reaching them, so its not a problem if you have short legs. The shifts are also much smoother through the gears.

First thing you notice is the raw power increase (20hp to 55hp). It makes your hair stand up on that first run down the street. You also realize you now have 500lbs under you compared to 300. Its a learning curve, but its quickly over come if you use your riding smarts about being calm and cool and thinking before acting. What you did easily on the GZ you have to do slower on the new bike, mostly because its just plain bigger and you need to adapt and re-learn how to do things with the heavier bike. Which, becomes easier and easier as the days pass. Before you know it, the bike is a part of you just like the GZ was/is. Just like any other new bike, you practice on it first till you get used to it.

The GZ, of course, is still a great bike for the newb or to be used as a daily commuter and gas saver for the experienced. Otherwise, i would have closed this forum down and started a shadow forum

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 12-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
tampadeb

It is a 2007 Shadow Spirit/ Belongs to my boyfriend. Soon to be my husband. We bought it in May. We like to ride together and with others. Mine is so small I don't see me being able to go to Daytona or even Orlando with it. So he is getting a HONDA VTX 1300. And I will be getting his 750. I have started working out to hope to increase some strength. It is so much heavier. So I hope by June I will be ready for it. I hope to let my son take over my 250. But June is far away. And yes. Florida weather we ride every day.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampadeb
Mine is so small I don't see me being able to go to Daytona or even Orlando with it.
I wish you luck in all that!

Two comments:
Your little bike is more than adequate for short to medium distance road trips.....IF you can shake the habit of always taking the Interstates. US 41 is a nice ride going north (and probably south too); there should be other "old" roads going to the places you mentioned too.

I took my GZ on a road trip last year from Illlinois to Atlanta. 600 miles each way. It was GREAT. No freeways and no hurry. Did about 250 miles each day. Next time I'm sure I can do 350-400 a day and make it in two. Got relatives all over Florida; would like to extend my trip down there next summer.

It sounds like you have a workable plan BUT you should ***NOT*** let blind adherence to the "plan" over-ride your good judgement. Give the 750 a fair chance when you are ready. Then if it doesn't work out (be honest with yourself), don't force it. There ARE other options.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
Dupo

You and your husband both should check out those shadow forums then .... they cover both the spirit and the VTX.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook