Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 10-25-2008, 03:21 AM   #1
cleensmoke666

stripped nuts on oil filter cap

i noticed on my bike the other day that two of the nuts on the oil filter cap just turn and dont tighten ..only 1 is holding it in ..does'nt seem like oil is leaking if is a very little cuz i changed oil three weeks ago and still at full line..i called shop they said the may have to drill and make bigger screw..and hinted that might be expensive..my question is as long as oil does not leak out should i leave alone concerning high labro cost or should try to get fixed :??:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
mr. softie

Re: stripped nuts on oil filter cap

Try this stuff. Has worked for me.

PERMATEX 81668 STRIPPED THREAD REPAIR 0.44 Oz

Check with your local hardware store or auto parts store.

Permatex® Stripped Thread Repair

Makes reliable thread repairs without drills, taps, tools or inserts. Restores worn, stripped or damaged threads and eliminates future corrosion, galling, seizing and rust. Effective up to 128 ft. lbs. of torque and between -65°F to 300°F. Repairs most metal-to-metal fasteners up to SAE grade 5 English and 8.8 metric (coarse and fine).

Suggested Applications:
Intake manifold bracket fastener threads, timing chain cover bolt threads, valve cover bolt threads, water pump bolt threads.
Prod 81668
Old 10-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleensmoke666
..my question is as long as oil does not leak out should i leave alone concerning high labro cost or should try to get fixed :??:
Yes, you REALLY need to fix it. If/when it does start to leak, it will likely PUMP ALL your oil out in short order.

First you need to do a quick inspection and see what/where things are turning. You might be able to get by with some new nuts if it is the "outside" threads that are damaged. If the studs are turning inside the housing, then some new studs and something like the product above might do the trick. And in the future, don't tighten them so much. Your present condition shows that the O-ring will do it's job if only slightly tight.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-26-2008, 01:03 AM   #4
cleensmoke666

thanx a lot for the info..i'll look into that