Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
First night ride

So My GF has a cold, flu or something, and she asked me to get her some OJ, cough drops, and a can of chicken noodle soup. No big deal. She's awesome and she'd do it for me.

When I grab my gear and she realizes it's dark out and gets all worried. I give her an all mushy "don't worry honey. Publix is just down the road. Plus it's late and there's not much traffic."

I head to the garage. Swap out my tinted visor for the clear one and head out. As I start driving I notice everything looks funny. All the lights kinda sparkle. I can see, but light sources are kinda distorted. I flip up the visor and everthing looks normal. Then I realize, I've never used the clear visor before. I flip it back down and wipe my gloved hand across it and figure it out. There's some kind of greasy film all over it. I'm already about a third of the way to the store. "Oh well" I think. "I'll just clean it when I get back." I flip the visor up about half way and keep going.

Still riding along I then think to myself, "hmm something feels funny." I reach around to my back and there's no backpack. I'm about two thirds of the say there now, but have no way to bring back anything, so I turn around, go home, get the backpack, head back out.

I drive to the store, park put my garage clicker and gloves under the seat, like I always do. Go in get the stuff, and leave. As I'm walking out I realize I swiped a credit card I don't use anymore. That card doesn't even have my current address. Crap I'll have to call them when I get home. I gear up and ride home.
I go to click the garage clicker and realize it's still under the seat. I probably forgot to take it out becuse I was thinking about the CC. I get off the bike, get out the clicker, open the door, park etc.

Dispite all that, night riding is pretty cool... and OMG the high beam on this thing is amazing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Sarris

Re: First night ride

It's very cool riding at night isn't it? Did you notice that the low beam kinda sucks? Just be very careful because it is hard to see road hazards and imperfections until you are right on top of them. Also, animals come out at night and can scare the crap out of you or worse.

Congrats on your first night ride. Oh yeah, BTW, clean the shield BEFORE you go next time!

:wow:
Old 09-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Jer

Nice.

Looking forward to mine.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus

Yeah the low beam was kinda weak. I do have to worry about animals where I am. I'm pretty much on the western edge of the West Palm Beach suburbs. and only about 4 miles from the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge There's loads of racoons, opossums, rabbits, and possibly some deer, hough I haven't seen any in years.
I haven't cleaned the visor yet. After I got home I was on the phone with USAA (the CC company) and taking care of my honeybunny. I'll probably do it at lunch today. I keep in a soft fabric bag inside my backpack, so I've always got it when I need it. Once my saddle bags come in (they're on back order) it'll live there.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
Magnar Infectus

Oh yeah I forgot one thing...

So this morning my GF leaves for work. about 30 seconds later I hear a door open and I hear her say "honey I think you forgot something lastnight." Apparently I had left the garage door wide open. All night long.

She and I both know I have horrible short term memory, but it looks like last night my brain was feeling extra "special".

Old 09-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Well, at least you didn't leave the taillight on all night.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
Magnar Infectus

That's true, and I have you to thank for that.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnar Infectus
That's true, and I have you to thank for that.
Gather 'round, children and Alan will teach you about tail......lights, that is !! :biggrin:
Old 09-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
Magnar Infectus

It's like he's Uncle Remus or something.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Night riding is pure pleasure if conditions are right. Pop in a SilverStar bulb for better lighting, always clean your face shield and double check your lights all the way around for safety. A casual night ride for coffee through the twisties is one of my favourite ways to enjoy fresh air and freedom. Just watch for critters on the road, some have a death wish and lay in waiting for the unwary.