Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 10-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
cnorman70

Attempting to change the spark plug and...

...in trying to get the cover off (in order to get to the spark plug) I have "stripped" the area on the screw that the allen wrench is supposed to fit in to, to the point that that slot is probably about 10-15% larger (if not more) than it was originally...it is the left screw that I can't get off (the right one came off with a little elbow grease).

What are my options?? I went to the hardware store and bought a screw extractor, but this did not work either (due to the size of the hole).

My first thought (easiest thing to do I guess) is to just take it to the Suzuki shop and have them remove it (I believe they were the ones that went overboard in screwing in the screw to begin with)...

Any other thoughts??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
dhgeyer

Re: Attempting to change the spark plug and...

The fact that you are having so much trouble getting the screw out may or may not indicate that it was put in too tightly. There are other reasons a screw can seize. Doesn't matter at this point.

The screw at this point is a write off, so, number one is order a replacement.

If you want to get it out yourself, depending upon how handy and/or well equipped you are, I'd suggest a couple of possibilities.

1. If the screw has any internal flats left for an allen wrench to grab, you could carefully grind or stone a larger one down, with a slight taper, to fit what you have. Tap it into place so that it locks (thus the slight taper).

2. Since that is a very broad headed screw, you could drill a couple of holes on opposite sides of the head, and make a small spanner to take it out.

3. By all means try to work some penetrating oil into the threads. There could be corrosion causing problems. Even if there isn't, some lubrication never hurt in these situations.

If none of the above worked, I'd take it to "The Man".
Old 10-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
The fact that you are having so much trouble getting the screw out may or may not indicate that it was put in too tightly. There are other reasons a screw can seize. Doesn't matter at this point.

The screw at this point is a write off, so, number one is order a replacement.

If you want to get it out yourself, depending upon how handy and/or well equipped you are, I'd suggest a couple of possibilities.

1. If the screw has any internal flats left for an allen wrench to grab, you could carefully grind or stone a larger one down, with a slight taper, to fit what you have. Tap it into place so that it locks (thus the slight taper).

2. Since that is a very broad headed screw, you could drill a couple of holes on opposite sides of the head, and make a small spanner to take it out.

3. By all means try to work some penetrating oil into the threads. There could be corrosion causing problems. Even if there isn't, some lubrication never hurt in these situations.

If none of the above worked, I'd take it to "The Man".

Couldn't have said it better. :2tup:

Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I agree, plus I would keep trying with the screw extractor after you have lubricated the threads.

I had an over-zealous Chinese worker install my brake reservouir on my scooter apparently. It took me 3 go's with the bolt extractor to get those things out. I replaced them with neat little allen bolts to avoid the problem in the future. I had the extractor set that is made by Black& Decker and comes with 4 little drill bits and 4 reverse biting bits, all of various sizes.

Speaking of replacement bolts, you could order a single bolt from Suzuki, or you could just go down to the Home Depot and get one that fits for maybe $0.80. They have a million varietes to choose from. Given the location of that bolt, no one would even see it or know the difference if they did.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Sarris

Just get an e-z out kit. Drill out the center and use the e-z out to remove.

Go here: E-Z Out