Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 11-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
lenkf

New GZ250 owner, new saddlebags, next windscreen

Just got new River Road saddle bags from the local Cyclegear.com brick and motor store in Oxnard CA. good price at $99. Not real leather but that's probably a good thing. Pretty wide which was one of my needs. I had to make a couple extra holes to raise the bags above the dumb raised muffler output. But since the bags went over the fender, I could not reattach the pillion seat without mods. Because the bags went over the fender, the pillion seat (passanger seat) bolts didn't have adequate clearance into their welded on holes due to additional clearance. Without the pillion seat installed, it would have easy for the bags to walk away in a parking lot. I disassembled the pillion seat and put the forward attachment in a drill press and extended the attachment holes about 1/4" to accommodate the extra reach.

The bags are clear from the shocks, rear lights, and dumb elevated exhaust pipe. Not as "big" as perfect, but good enough to carry milk and bread or 6pack. It attached nicely to the Suzuki OEM bag mounts I got last week. I used a couple zip-ties to hooks on the bags. I suspect the bags will have little aero affect down the road. But, bags will allow me to avoid wearing a heavily laden backpack as I have been doing lately and not happy with due to weight

On this 2009 model I bought with only 132 miles, now with over 500 miles nearing first oil change, I checked chain looseness and with my weight on the bike it was good. I oiled the chain just because. Need to investigate a new oil filter at local auto supply stores for the big "600 mile maintenance". As this bike no longer has a warranty, I'm pretty much on my own to keep it running

Still observing the factory recommendation in terms of "half throttle" usage (how obvuscative is that, where is 1/2 throttle?), and not exceeded 55mph yet. But I sense there's plenty left I can do in 5th gear, wot, with stock 15t primary drive gear. Haven't taken on 75mph freeways yet - maybe 1k miles.

Next project on "my new" GZ250 is a decent windscreen. Since my local motorcycle store, Cyclegear, doesn't sell windscreens, I'm still gleaning details from the net for an online purchase. Assistance appreciated if mounting details and attachment pics offered. Looking for 4 point attachment.

Thanks fred

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
blaine

Re: New GZ250 owner, new saddlebags, next windscreen

I use the "National Cycle Street Shield EX" I've had mine for two years,and no complaints.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
mole2

I had a National Cycle Plexistar 2 windscreen on my GZ250. I like that it had the built in deflectors for the hands which helped on cold days and that it attached at four points. As far as the link to the vendor, I know nothing about them only that they came up in Google and could be a reference for the windscreen.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:54 AM   #4
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkf
where is 1/2 throttle?
Mid way between fully closed & fully opened? :whistle:
Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Way

It might be a good idea to try to find your half throttle position while the bike is not running. That way you can get a feel for where the limit is and not actually harm anything.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
lenkf

lenkf here: thanks for replies on suggestions for a windshield. I like the Slipstream SS-28 and SS-24 looking shields, especially since 4 point mounting. Suggestions for a trustworthy Internet purchase supplier? Would like to use a supplier known to the forum to be trustworthy (not Ebay .

BTW the new bags are from River Road. The size is medium, don't interfere with the rear shocks nor rear turn signal lights. They are about 7" depth and after punching extra holes in the over-the-fender connection, well clear the exhaust pipe. The 7" width was an important decision factor (gallon of milk size or occasional 6pak). They have leather strap buckles that can be used to access storage, but I discovered access is also available with quick disconnect plastic fasteners hidden by leather straps and buckles, like my fanny pack Lots quicker and less wear on leather.

The new-to-me '09 GZ now has 547 miles . Preparing to do first oil change. The oil level sight glass shows no noticeable oil use when bike is balanced and still appears "clear".

lenkf
Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

www.mawonline.com
Old 11-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
NonallaNostrum

got an under construction message when that linked is clicked
Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Holy cow MAW online is out of business....

That's a shame.
Check out www.ronayers.com
Great for factory and aftermarket stuff. They also have a parts fiche for just about every bike ever.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
mole2

I've dealt with Phat Performance in the past and they were very good on service and price.