Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #1
chandlerbingfl

Oil leaking from underneath... possibly due to overfill?

Noticed my shifting was getting a bit noisy especially in the 1st to 2nd range both upshift but more noticable on the downshift. Checked the oil level using the glass eye and found that the level was just above the Min mark. Yes the bike was held up in the upright position not on the stand. When I filled it, I brought it to just below the Full mark but the engine was quite warm so I'm thinking that oil in the rest of the engine finally filtered down and put me in an "overfill" position. I did not realize this immediately. Took the bike out later that evening and again the next day for some spirited riding and during a rest period I noticed that the bike developed a leak coming from underneath. There looks to be a piece / plate that bolts on (?) and I am wondering if I damaged a gasket? The oil lvel is now about 3/4 of the way between Full/Min but I am still experiencing an oil leak. The leak will stop after the bike cools down...

Suggestions? I'm concerned but not looking for doom and gloom as in you screwed yourself dumba@@... Constructive critisism is greatly appreciated lol....

chandlerbingfl

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-30-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
dentheman

Re: Oil leaking from underneath... possibly due to overfill?

First, determine where exactly the oil is leaking from. If it is from the plate the oil drain plug screws into, you are in luck. If the plate screws (bolts?) and drain plug are not loose then I think that plate takes a relatively inexpensive gasket, possibly an O ring. That plate is made to be removed to gain access to the oil sump filter for occassional cleaning. The fact that the leak stops when the engine cools suggests the oil might be leaking elsewhere and running down the engine to the bottom, hopefully I am wrong on that.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:00 AM   #3
chandlerbingfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
First, determine where exactly the oil is leaking from. If it is from the plate the oil drain plug screws into, you are in luck. If the plate screws (bolts?) and drain plug are not loose then I think that plate takes a relatively inexpensive gasket, possibly an O ring. That plate is made to be removed to gain access to the oil sump filter for occassional cleaning. The fact that the leak stops when the engine cools suggests the oil might be leaking elsewhere and running down the engine to the bottom, hopefully I am wrong on that.
As far as I can tell it looks as though it is from that coverplate you mentioned. I don't see any evidence of oil than from underneath which to me is a good sign.
Any idea of what might have caused this? Could pressure from the overfill do this?

Thanks for your quick reply!

chandlerbingfl

Old 07-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
blaine

Your oil leak sounds minor,clean & check your drain plug as it sounds like you may need a new gasket on it.Either that or a new gasket on the oil screen plate.You say it's reading 3/4 full now, I would guess that it was never over full.Just a fluke.

:itsokay:

Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingfl
Could pressure from the overfill do this?
NO !!!
At least not what you did. That doesn't even qualify as an "overfill".
And besides that, there is no pressure in the bottom of the sump anyway.

Best case: A bolt or bolts are just loose and need to be tightened.
Worst case: You need to do an oil change and replace a gasket while the oil is out.

Tiny outside chance: You hit a big rock and cracked something but that is highly unlikely.

As was said, you need to identify exactly where the leak IS before you proceed......and not ride it until it's fixed.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
chandlerbingfl

Well turned out to be more than a minor leak. Checked the oil and went for a ride, bike was running great even shifting was smooth... was heading down the road and saw I was barely able to push 55 or so and when I looked down saw more than just a minor leak. Now the bike is locked up to a tree just off the road until I figure out what to do next...

Fortunately I purchased an extended warranty which should cover repairs but I am bummed nonetheless...

chandlerbingfl
Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
As was said, you need to identify exactly where the leak IS before you proceed......and not ride it until it's fixed.
Some days I wonder why we even try..........

This warranty claim should be interesting. :roll: