Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Grenaded Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw633
Would putting on a 16 tooth front sprocket help with anything?
If she is stubborn enough to want to pull 75MPH on the highway again, the 16T sprocket won't let her do it. She'll be maxing out around 70MPH or so and with lower revs. So it would possibly help. You could slap one in there and force her to slow down because of it... But then she might not like the bike afterwards, and you don't really want to deter a new rider from experiencing the ride and enjoying their machine.

A single upjet would help the thing run a touch cooler. I would only go one size though, if you're looking at keeping everything else stock.
This is a procedure I've used on the last 3 bikes I've had. Small engines have to work harder than bigger ones to do the same thing. That's just a fact. Anything that we can do as users to limit the stress the engines have to endure are little check marks in the list towards engine longevity.
My cool-down favorites include:
-Slightly larger gearing (Weights in scooters)
-Slightly oversized jets (very slight - you still want it to run right.)
-High end oil

Keeping up with all the other maintenance is necessary before those things work, obviously. A leaking carb inlet, for example, or a leak anywhere else will throw your little tweaks out the window. Causing a leaner condition on top of your upjet. But you already know that.

Login or Register to Remove Ads