Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
bkrchic

Bike won't stay on

I have had my 04 GZ250 since last September, and this is my first major issue. I have had the bike out and running for 3 weeks this season on almost a daily basis. Fuel tank ran dry (see Petcock not working?) last week, but ran fine after refilling the tank and have put on 230kms since.

First try, bike would turn over and stay running for a couple of seconds before shutting off. This was with the choke open. Subsequent tries, bike still would turn over, but I had to hold the throttle open to keep it running. The moment I let it go, the bike would turn off. Now it just won't. Starter is working, but engine is not catching. Had to replace the battery, no change.

Smelled gas coming from under the seat, and found that there was a pool of gas in the air intake along with some black gummy/sticky residue closer to the carb.

I realize that this is a fuel flow issue, but could use some ideas/suggestions. Could this be related to the gas tank running dry? Or is the residue coming from something else? Is this something I can diagnose/fix myself or need more professional help? Am fairly handy, but not a mechanic.

Login or Register to Remove Ads