Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
dhgeyer

Re: Found a practical car for Water Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I think a foolproof steam car could be made with proper safe guards and modern technology. Heat the boiler with propane or natural gas and top up the water res. Maybe even a steam powered generator for a hybrid with motors at each wheel.
The old Stanley Steamers were a work of art. As a youngster I talked to a fellow who had one. He said it had fantastic power and could start out on a steep incline with no real effort at all. A big car with steam heat in the winter and very comfortable. 70 MPH was a cruising speed on regular roads and there was no noise except the tires going around. This was at a time when most cars would barely do 70 top speed.
I was at a flea market one time in Hollis, NH, and a guy showed up in a working Stanley Steamer. It was very interesting, and more than a little impressive, and I'm sure all the things you say about it are true, except the no noise part. We watched him drive it away. It made a kind of hissing sound, something like a steam train. But there are some downsides. You do have to fill it with clean water. You have to wait for the boiler to heat the water before you can drive anywhere, and that can take some time. You have to know what you're doing or there could be big trouble.

The diesel electric system replaced steam in trains for a reason. If you think about it, they were the first hybrids.

Personally, I'm waiting for a practical electric car. I don't have to worry about the argument that I'm just burning coal instead of gas, since we live about 40 miles from Seabrook Station, and most of our electricity comes from nuclear power. I think nuclear power is what we're going to have to run on eventually if we are to survive as an affluent society.

Login or Register to Remove Ads