Re: Major fuel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
dried the air filter and re oiled it,
Is this a aftermarket filter?The O.E.M. filter is a dry paper style filter that oil will ruin. :??: Just clarifying so nobody oils a factory filter. :2tup:
Well, it's definitely not paper, and is of the type that needs oil, so if that means it's aftermarket, then it must be. I did not know that. Hard to believe, though, since the bike had less than 1000 miles on it when I got it. The manuals don't say anything about oiling the air filter, and the fact that they say to look for tears indicates paper all right. I wonder when mine got changed, and why. Maybe my incident wasn't the first time the float valve stuck, and the original air filter was ruined by gas, and replaced by the original owner. That kind of flooding would do in a paper filter I should think.
You are right, if the filter got soaked by fuel it would be ruined.It sounds like someone upgraded the filter.The O.E.M. filter is quite expensive & disposable.The aftermarket filter can be bought for the same amount or less & is reuseable.

:rawk: :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads