Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
awf

Reserve tank issue

Hi guys,

I am a new rider with limited mechanical skills but willing to get my hands dirty. I have had my 2000 model GZ for three months and am loving it, I decided to do an experiment and see what the range of a full tank was so on the way to work yesterday it started to splutter at 370 kms (230 miles) at which point I turned the switch to the reserve tank and it continued to splutter not getting me more than a couple of kms. I left it on the side of the road, brought a jerry can back to it after work, filled up and it wouldn't start, just spluttered away as if it was out of fuel.

The previous owner was a woman, she had only put 16,000 kms on it over the course of ten years, I have put 2000 on it already. I am wondering if she had ever used the reserve tank being a careful rider, and if not could there have been a build up of crap etc in it?

The forums posts I have read seem to suggest that a carb clean out may be the way to go, at the moment it is still on the side of the road, is there a roadside fix I can give it to get it 20 kms home?

Also, I don't know much about the reserve tank, how far should it get me? Should it be used fairly often to keep it fresh? Any other advice would be great.

Thanks, Andy.

Login or Register to Remove Ads