Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #1

saddle bag question

Hey all,

I've read all the saddle bag and saddle bag supports threads, but I can't glean a consensus on this issue. Here's my quandry: Santa brought me some saddle bags and they'll fit quite well once I drill a couple holes in the tongues so I can cinch them closer together. The right one is at least 1 1/2 inches away from the muffler, maybe 2 inches. So question #1 - is that enough clearance? Easy thinks so, I believe, but anyone else have an opinion (not that I doubt you Easy).

Question #2 - Related to above (if not enough clearance): I wouldn't even think of doing this if they were nice bags, and it seems kind of ghetto, but I cleaned up a backyard fire pit recently and spray painted it black with the high heat resistant spray paint. I read the threads about pop riveting aluminum sheets to the bottom of the bag, but do you think spray painting the bottom of the bag with that paint might serve the same purpose (assuming the paint adhered to the vinyl)?

Question #3 - Do I absolutely need saddle bag supports? To me, they look fine, as they're high enough up and the rear fender and the decorative chrome thing (technical term, I know) seem to keep them away from wheels pretty well. Will they flop around too much without the supports (though these are pretty cheap bags, so they were not designed with other straps to attach to supports or the bike anyway - so I'd have to bungee them or something).

I know everyone is going to say get nicer bags, but that's not an option (even Santa has been hit hard by the economy up here in Michigan).

Thanks,

Keith

Login or Register to Remove Ads