Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2006, 01:49 AM   #1
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Cages are always blind

My lesson learned: Cages are blind no matter where you are around them.

I have had many instances where ive been cut off by cages who arent paying attention or bother to look before changing lanes. Even when you can see their eyes in their rear view, you are never safe.

What brings me to this post is a ride i was on a few days ago on a 2 lane highway. I was in the right lane and a cage was in the left about 2 car lengths ahead of me. A motorcycle was behind me in the left lane as well approaching the car. Without even looking, the car zipped to the right lane to make way for the other motorcycle. Not once did it occur that maybe someone was in the right lane (me). I had to give it some brake so i wouldnt run up into her. The motorcycle passing her gave her a nasty look with a headshake of unapproval. She ofcourse, just flung her hands up to me as if "oops, i didnt see you". Thanks, i'll remember that next time im sideswiped by your vehicle because you cant check lanes before changing them.

What im trying to say to new riders is... always keep your bike in a safe zone. Dont ride next to another vehicle. Dont ride on the corners of other vehicles. Even if you have a car length or two, it doesnt guarantee they will see you. I always keep my bike in an invisible cushion when on a 2 lane highway. I give atleast 2 car lengths infront or behind me in either lane. If someone gets in my cushion zone i speed up (within speed limits) or slow down and let them get out of my 'zone'. This minimizes the chance of someone coming into my lane and causing an accident. Ofcourse this cant always be done in heavy traffic .... in that case i keep my motorcycle just past the cars front fender in the other lane. This way i know i have a better chance of them seeing me. Not everyone looks at the sides of their car before switching lanes, but if you are in the windshield area you have a better chance at being seen.

I live by the saying "Ride like you are invisible (to everyone around you)". Make yourself seen and keep yourself in as safe a cushion zone as you can.

Be safe!

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Login or Register to Remove Ads