Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
UH40

AGM Battery???

Hi all,

Here is my issue.... I use AGM (absorbed Glass Mat) batteries every chance I get and did so when I replaced the battery in my 2005 GZ250 - However I am blowing the main 20AMP fuze constantly. I recently took a very long 1200+ mile trip in very high heat with long constant hours of high throttle time and I naturally applied that as a reason for blowing the fuze....

However - I did a 10 mile ride this morning in 68deg temps and blew the fuze again so I am wondering if the battery is causing my over amperage? I know the bikes history because it came from family, and this was never an issue before.

Has anyone ever used an AGM battery in there GZ? or had negitave results with AGM batteries in thier motorcycle?

I will be tracing power cables later today looking for a short somewhere - but thought I would throw this out there first to see if anyone else has had this problem..

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
alantf

Re: AGM Battery???

Can't really see the battery being the problem. Voltage is voltage. Plus, any given appliance on the bike takes the same current, whatever type of battery you use. What causes fuses to blow is HIGH current, & this is usually caused by a short to earth. Check the wiring, also, if you've just swapped the battery, make sure that the terminals aren't touching the bike frame.

If it is a wiring problem, it MAY be due to vibration on the long ride causing the cables to rub through the insulation.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
3-D Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by UH40
Has anyone ever used an AGM battery in there GZ? or had negitave results with AGM batteries in thier motorcycle?
I can't see how it would be the battery. Even the charging voltage of an AGM is the same as for any standard battery.
A battery is like an electrical bank account. A fuse is like a limit on how much you can draw from that electrical bank account at any given time… Something's trying to pull more from you account than the limit that's been set (simplistic, I know. But clear, I hope). Maybe your limit (fuse) has been set too low. Maybe you've got accessories that your limit (fuse) hasn't been made aware of. But, more than likely, you've got some culprit trying to take out more than he's entitled too.
Are you tracing cables with an Ohm meter?

Old 08-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Yes and no.
I believe that an AGM is standard issue on the GZ in the past 5 years or so. Mine had one.
They have a tiny bit less reserve capacity but will last a LOT longer if cared for just a little.

Generally the fuses limit the current going OUT of the battery and they don't care what is going on in the battery itself. I guess it is possible that a cell in the battery itself is shorting out, causing high charging current.........but I think that's a long shot and Mr Murphy is just playing with you.

In addition to checking cables and wires, you need to get a meter to check the charging voltage......and you might need it to find the short when you get to the point that the fuse blows every time you put in a new one.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Search the other posts. I think Sarris posted about likely places for shorts once before. I think it was where the harness might rub when turning the bars. (Or maybe I imagined it.)

Also, minor nitpick - it's spelled fuse. (Spelling is of value if you want future fuse troubleshooters to find your thread.)

Old 08-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Fuse, fuze, phuse, phuze...........now my head hertz. I kneed a tielinall. :lol:
Old 08-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
UH40

LOL - alanmcorcoran - You obviously did not read my introduction in the "Introduce Yourself" section - I am a HORRIBLE speller - hehehe

Thanks for info guys - The bike is still stock so all appliances that would draw power are what the factory put on only - Yes I am going to use my FLUKE mutlimeter and I have also fashioned a makeshift AMP meter that I am going to temp install and watch as I ride today, and we will see where that gets me.

There is a spot where it is possible for the frame to rub the negative battery post but I discarded that as an issue since I am assuming the electrical system uses the frame as ground.

I will keep you all posted as to what I find out

Ride Safe - UH40
Old 08-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
Sarris

From my previous post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Re: No Lights, No sound, No NOTHING
On the left side of the steering head, there is a rectangular metal hoop that retains a main wiring harness. The turning of the handlebars continually flexes the harness at this location and it's a common area where the wiring insulation wears through and causes a short. It happened on mine and was a simple repair. I just taped up the worn insulation an installed a $3 automotive harness cover.
You can search the thread "No Lights, No sound, No NOTHING" for more info and photos.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
alantf

Quote:
I have also fashioned a makeshift AMP meter that I am going to temp install and watch as I ride today
Two things bother me...........

(1) If it's a short, it'll go from normal to fuse blow, then to zero in a fraction of a second - so you may miss it.

(2) If you're concentrating so hard on the ammeter, you're not concentrating on the road ahead, & that's when accidents happen.

Why not physically check ALL the wiring by sight & feel, before you do anything further? :2tup:

If you do go for a ride & the fuse blows, what's that gonna prove? That you've got a short circuit? We already suspect that. What it's NOT going to tell you is where the short IS.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
I have also fashioned a makeshift AMP meter that I am going to temp install and watch as I ride today, and we will see where that gets me.
Hope you are planning on connecting that at the NEGATIVE post of the battery and not on the positive one.....or the main fuse leads. Running extra wires like that which must carry the full electrical load and connecting them to the positive side can be VERY dangerous......both to the bike and to you.

Also that could be a major problem when you start the bike.....as the starter draws something like 50 amps and might fry your "makeshift" meter if it's connected at the wrong place.