Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
tima

new

Just got a gz250 for my wife to learn on. Where can I get a good aftermarket windshield for it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: new

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima
Just got a gz250 for my wife to learn on. Where can I get a good aftermarket windshield for it?
Browse through the Mods forum here on this website. You'll see lots of discussion and info. Welcome, tima.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Browse through the Mods forum here on this website. You'll see lots of discussion and info. Welcome, tima.
Welcome indeed.

Where are you located.....Washington state, I assume?
If we get enough members registered, we can have show and tell; that has worked well for some of the California guys already. I demo'ed my 16T sprocket for a guy in Georgia. He just loved it but then disappeared. Hmmmm......gotta give him a call someday. :shocked:

What do YOU ride?
Let's not catch you on the GZ, OK?? :biggrin:

After a browse (or search for "windshield"), I recommend ordering through a dealer. That way, you won't usually pay extra shipping and if it is damaged in transit, it's their problem and not yours. I like to keep my dealer in business for later when I REALLY need him. YMMV.

I think BadBob and I have about the largest two models, if you want really good coverage.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Moedad and I have the same windshield from National Cycle. Plexistar? It's large, but not huge, and has a sort of hybrid half fork/half handlebar mount. Easy to mount, but infinitely "adjustable" (sounds like an advantage, but, well, if you get one you'll understand.) Overall, it fits the bike pretty well, it goes on quick (also removes quick) and we are both relatively happy with it. Still get some wind on the top and back of the helmet, but after a week or so, you don't notice it. No wind at all on the chest and hands! Slows you down a little if you have been riding "sportbike" style, otherwise, negligible.

We've posted pictures and threads on here elsewhere. I think it was about $110 or so.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
tima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Welcome indeed.

Where are you located.....Washington state, I assume?
If we get enough members registered, we can have show and tell; that has worked well for some of the California guys already. I demo'ed my 16T sprocket for a guy in Georgia. He just loved it but then disappeared. Hmmmm......gotta give him a call someday. :shocked:

What do YOU ride?
Let's not catch you on the GZ, OK?? :biggrin:

After a browse (or search for "windshield"), I recommend ordering through a dealer. That way, you won't usually pay extra shipping and if it is damaged in transit, it's their problem and not yours. I like to keep my dealer in business for later when I REALLY need him. YMMV.

I think BadBob and I have about the largest two models, if you want really good coverage.
Yup Washington State. Just picked the bike up and will have to either trailer it to a large parking lot or double up uon it. Don't think that's gonna happen. So, Moedad and BadBob, you guys have aftermarket or shields from suzuki? I ride a '09 Ultra Classic HD.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Yup Washington State. Just picked the bike up and will have to either trailer it to a large parking lot or double up uon it. Don't think that's gonna happen. So, Moedad and BadBob, you guys have aftermarket or shields from suzuki? I ride a '09 Ultra Classic HD.
"Moedad and I have the same windshield from National Cycle. Plexistar? " That would be aftermarket. The Suzuki one is rather small.

Two up is do-able on a GZ but the combined total shouldn't be much over 300 lbs.

Don't need a trailer. You ride the GZ to the parking lot; Wife drives the car. No need to have your bike on site, is there ?? If there is, you just lock up the GZ and make a second trip. :cool:
Old 01-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
tima

As easy rider said, you won't catch me on the 250.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
As easy rider said, you won't catch me on the 250.
OK, looks like you missed the "joke". :roll:

We have had several "big bike" riders on here who bought a GZ for their wife/kid/whatever.........and they end up fighting over who gets to ride the GZ today. :shocked:

There is absolutely NO reason that you should not ride the GZ.......except for the above. :biggrin:

It is a little cramped for some VERY large folks but that shouldn't be a problem just getting to a local empty parking lot.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
So, Moedad and BadBob, you guys have aftermarket or shields from suzuki? I ride a '09 Ultra Classic HD.
How do you like your Harley? If you do break down and ride the GZ, let us know how you compare the two. As with many things on this site, we tend to fall into two camps (the "two kinds of people" thing): riders like me that are curious about trading up in size (and probably will) and the pure GZ enthusiasts who like the weight, size and economy of the GZ. Personally, I think the GZ is probably the safest bike for me, but I'd like to get some mileage on the bigger ones so I can make some comparisons. I'm planning a short ride on a Stratoliner this afternoon, with maybe a longer tour on it later this month.

Here is the deal on my windshield (from Accessories International):

Dear customer:

Thank you for your inquiry:

Yes, we stock Memphis Shades and National Cycle N8372 Plexistar 2 for GZ 250 Marauder 1999 to 2007...........$124.99

we welcome all major credit cards and PayPal.
Visit and bookmark our website by clicking on the
following link:
http://www.accessoryinternational.com

You can also place an order by using our secure
order form:
http://www.accessoryinternational.com/orderfor.htm

or calling toll free 888-725-3679

or check status by clicking on the following link:
http://www.accessoryinternational.com/ordertrack.htm

Regards,

Accessories International
13343 SW 131 St.
Miami, FL 33186

Tel 888-725-3679
International 786-242-5400
Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
tima

Please don't take this the wrong way. Please.

I started riding bikes back in the 60's (Yes, I'm a geezer, 52). My first if any of you remember them was a toat goat, kind of a mini bike almost. Centrifical clutch, two speed you had to stop before shifting. I think it was a Briggs & Stratton 5 hp engine. The smallest real bike I've ever owned was a Honda 350 at 15, 1970, forget the model. I don't consider myself a big guy, 6' 200lbs (well, maybe a tad overweight . I've had numerous bikes over the years and loved them all, dirt and street. I now like to take my son on trips with me, some friends from church and tour the northwest. The Ultra does this remarkably well. Forward to today, my wife would like to learn how to ride hence the gz250. I try and take a msf course every few years on my bike just to make sure I've still got "it". The course near our home uses these, the Honda Rebel, and some ofther dual sport bikes, all in the 250 range for the beginner riders. The gz250 is like riding a mini bike compared to my Ultra. I did take it down our street and back and actually found it to be very uncomfortably light. For some reason, the weight of the Ultra makes it easier for me to control. We won't be taking the 250 on the super slab, and hopefully only have it for a year or so and move her onto something more road worthy. I feel the 250 will get the smithereens blown out of it on the highway. Again, I'm NOT knocking the gz250, an excellent starter bike. I am a devoted HD guy now and hope to have my wife on one when she feel comfortable. Why HD? Because of support, availablitiy of accessories, aftermarket suppliers and resale. #1 in my mind is if it's a bike, then good on ya! I don't mean to put down anyone, or any bike, and long as you ride responsibly. I thank you all for the help locating a windshield. As it goes, ride safe!
PS: you might be seeing my wife on here so behave yourselves!