Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Stripped oil drain threads

Hey everyone, I wish my first post here didn't have to be in this section. :sad:

Yesterday I decided that I was going to do an oil change on the Suzuki GZ250 I just bought. Having the service manual by my side I though, "This is gonna be a piece of cake." Well, all went smoothly until I went to replace the oil drain plug. Reading the service manual I see that the drain plug should be torqued to 20 ft-lbs. Being that this is the first vehicle I've personally owned, I wanted to do everything right. Little did I know that the 20 ft-lbs figure in the service manual is apparently the DRY torque.

Can you guess what happened next?

I stripped the threads in the crankcase. Cursing myself, I ran to my computer to see just how much damage I've done. Well, I don't think its all doom and gloom, but in my searches I couldn't find any specific solutions. I went to the local auto parts store and bought a universal drain plug for stripped threads in the crankcase. Its one of those with essentially a bolt running through a rubber plug. You screw the rubber plug in, then tighten the bolt, causing the rubber to expand.

So, my question is, have any of you ever had this problem and tried this solution? If not, what did you do? I really don't trust this little rubber plug.

Now, I was looking through the parts diagram on bikebandit.com, and unless I'm mistaken, the oil drain plug bolts into the "oil strainer cap" (look at the oil pump microfiche). Is this correct? If so, that means rather than trying to tap a new drain hole, I just just replace the entire cap, correct?

Any help would be great!

Login or Register to Remove Ads