Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
bschift

Riding at Speed

How is 150 mile trip at 60+ mph going to affect the long term life of my GZ250 if I do it often? This is pretty much flat out for the bike and I'd probably have to spend a fair amount of time in 4th gear rather than 5th to keep my speed up.

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-04-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
Fawlty

These bikes are durable, but not really suitable for regular trips of that length at that sort of maintained speed. I am not saying you couldn't do it. How often is often? Are you talking about 150 miles round trips?

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)
Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

60mph isn't ragged out on these bikes. They'll do 55-65 all day long.

If you live in a relatively flat area, then installing a higher final drive gearing will lower highway revs and thus prolong some of the life of the bike. (larger front sprocket)

I'm one of the people who believe that bikes and vehicles work their best when they are on the open road. Just keep up with maintenance and you'll be fine.

I don't know where it is anymore, but if you search the net there is a guy who rode all across the country on his GZ250, racking up tens of thousands of highway miles without any problems. It's a good read.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
bschift

It's about a 150 mile round trip with at least an hour between the "to" and "from" and it would probably be once or twice a month. Much of it is on state highways and it could be dangerous not to keep up with the flow of traffic so 55-60 is probably going to be required most of the time. I'm not sure the higher gear would work because even in 5th, it sometimes struggles to keep up to speed even though it's pretty flat here it Texas.

Oh, also, the daytime temps often get up to 100*F or more. Does that enter into it?

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschift View Post
It's about a 150 mile round trip with at least an hour between the "to" and "from" and it would probably be once or twice a month. Much of it is on state highways and it could be dangerous not to keep up with the flow of traffic so 55-60 is probably going to be required most of the time. I'm not sure the higher gear would work because even in 5th, it sometimes struggles to keep up to speed even though it's pretty flat here it Texas.

Oh, also, the daytime temps often get up to 100*F or more. Does that enter into it?

Thanks.
Your trip sounds like a short version of Lynda's ride half way across Canada and back. Her GZ was a completely stock 2006 GZ that worked as designed. The odd struggle to keep up speed will be a combo of a very slight grade and a little headwind. Live with it or go bigger when you can afford it and justify it. Overall the GZ is a heck of a small bike, just don't ask more of it than it is designed to do. Riding a GZ on the hiway can be labor intensive under less than ideal conditions. Constantly thinking ahead to that next slight hill or headwind can be very tiring. More power is the answer. Lynda opted for a M-50(805cc) V-twin Suzuki that was more than adequate.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

A helpful hint for the hiway. Increase your tire pressure to the 2 up PSI on the rear and add +2 on the front. It doesn't affect the handling or braking and gives you a little less rolling resistance with a side benefit of slightly better/longer tire life.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

WW gives sound advice.

Upping the air pressure helps - If you're in Texas, you should be able to handle the sprocket upgrade. I live in the foothills of the Appalachians in North Georgia and I had it on my bike and loved it, especially on the highway.

Don't be afraid to use the revs of the bike. It doesn't redline until 7500-8000rpms.

I think this bike will handle what you're wanting to do, but I would recommend that you install a tachometer, which we have a "How-To" for in in the Instructional forum. I would also, as mentioned, recommend the 16T sprocket. One last piece, if you're willing to tackle it, is to simply go up one or two jet sizes in the carb. You'll run just slightly rich but that will help tp keep the head a little cooler in the head and, when paired with open throttle (like 3/4 to full) you'll get a slight increase in umph.

All of these little projects can be done in a single afternoon and won't even cost you $50 by the time it's all said and done. And, what's more, there is a how-to for each of the suggested upgrades
Old 07-10-2014, 05:16 AM   #8
alantf

Things can sometimes be deceptive. One of the trips I sometimes do is around 30 miles on the autopista to Santa Cruz. I can always come back at 10mph faster than going. I think it's something to do with the wind direction.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
Things can sometimes be deceptive. One of the trips I sometimes do is around 30 miles on the autopista to Santa Cruz. I can always come back at 10mph faster than going. I think it's something to do with the wind direction.
Or maybe one end of your island is sinking !!

Actually wind direction will make a difference. The GZ does take notice of a headwind or tailwind. Lynda was quite happy to see fields of wind generators on the prairies until I pointed out that we would be lucky if we didn't hit a constant headwind to slow us down. She used 4th gear a lot to maintain 50 mph.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
cayuse

Don't upgrade to the 16T front sprocket. It works nicely in the city to stretch out the lower gears but works against you on the open highway, especially against a wind or a hill. You will have less torque at these speeds, and Texas can get pretty windy, right?

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA