Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
scott103

new guy in the sf bay area

i bought an 09 gz on saturday, after watching the price plunge over the course of awhile. i'd seen what most 250s in the area sell at, and i was deadset on a ninja or virago/vstar for awhile. i got onto the idea of a vulcan 500, that i wouldn't grow out of in a day or two, lol. I bought an 09 gz250 and it's working for now and possibly for a lot longer.

i've never ridden a motorcycle, but have had a lot of stick shift cars and knew it was for me for a long time. I bought an 80cc honda elite twist and go scooter that i rode for a year, had my first drop and several close calls with cages on my 12 mile commute. I finally moved up to a real mc and started looking at 250s, the suzuki was at the end of my radar, too slow, too slow, too slow was all i heard.

today instead of waiting for my friend with a van to get home, i just hopped on and took it a few blocks and started teaching myself to ride, and decided to give it a go and rode almost 50 miles home, majority interstate. for those with a scooter afraid to take the plunge, i say go for it. it's really forgiving, "my friends with real bikes", that haven't seen it, think it's a joke, but i don't care. even at 1/2 throttle, you will catch traffic without a hitch. that's all i want and all i need from it. the fat tire makes it NOT squirelly through grooves/ruts/holes, and it can rip pretty decent to get where it has to go.

I've had my license suspended or revoked for doing stupid things with a car...numerous times... this bike is perfect for someone like me. I hit an indicated 75 witha bit more to go, and 4th gear pulled hard to 60, didn't want to take it farther.

does anyone have a shield or fairing recommendation to make me feel less like i'm going to get blown off of the bike? btw, i'm a hair over 6' and 165-170.

btw, i wasn't running it at 75, i was running it at the line for 100kph, 62mph, and only hit it after the ramp onto the interstate after crossing the bridge. i had to know it was capable, lol.

Login or Register to Remove Ads