Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
kyraeus

Electrical issues and a brake question, need help

So..

I'm a noob, I know this. I've done minor work on both starter circuits and brakes on cars before. Nothing serious mind you, I'm no gearhead. But I've dabbled. Enough to be dangerous anyway.

That said, I went to do a starter solenoid replacement because the one on the bike I just got was looking pretty ragged (fuses' plastic kinda gross, connections looking rough, etc). Bike started and ran at that point. Admittedly a little rough, but I think that's due to something in the kickstand switch possibly.

Now, after replacement of the solenoid with new 20 amp fuses (as per the original one, although someone had jammed a tiny fuse in place of the standard size on one side on the 'old' solenoid), the bike won't even power up ( no headlights, signals, etc.). The starter however, DOES work when you jump it across the screw heads on the new solenoid. (or at least has once. I tested that when I initially put the new one on, and the starter motor DID turn over, although I got no farther)

I've tried changing back to the old solenoid, old AND new solenoid with new fuses, etc. battery appears to still be holding a charge (it's new), I'm thinking maybe there's just a break in the electricals, or something I did popped a wire out elsewhere. Can anyone give me a runthrough on what to look for, or maybe some helpful places to check?

Beyond that, I have one other issue I ran into while working on the front brake caliper. Can anyone give a quick step by step on reconnecting the brake line to the caliper? the old one was busted and the bike came with it off the frame. I have the new one with new pads installed and mounted on the bike, just need from connecting the brake line onward.

Thanks guys!
Dazed and confused.

Login or Register to Remove Ads