Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 03-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
dentheman

OW! My aching back!

I have awaken in the morning with severe lower right back pain numerous times in the last few weeks. This morning it was so bad I didn't think I would be able to get out of bed. In each case, after getting up and moving around for less than an hour the pain is almost completely gone, and later it disappears completely. At first I thought kidney stones or maybe I needed a new mattress. But it soon became apparent that I didn't have such pain until I got my Shadow. If I didn't ride for a few days because of weather the pain was less each morning until it was gone.

The rear suspension was set at 2 when I got the bike, and it did bottom out a couple times, so I stopped by the dealer and had them set it to 3, which the manual recommends for my weight. It no longer bottoms out and the ride actually feels better with the stiffer suspension. The saddle is plush and feels comfortable to me, but pretty much restricts me to one riding position, and then there are those forward footpegs. I don't know if any or all of those factors are causing the discomfort, but I do know that I will be trading the bike in at the end of summer if I can't relieve this problem. I will try a Shadow RS (more upright saddle position and footpegs further back, more like a standard than a cruiser) or a Ninja 250 (leaning forward position, with footpegs way back...I'm not in to sportsbikes, but if it works I will be happy). But I am getting ahead of myself talking about other bikes at this point.

My question to you: Do any of you use a kidney belt or back brace when riding? Do either of these devices work well for you when it comes to back pain? Any other suggestions would be welcome as well.

ADDED ; The thought that my body just needs to get accustomed to riding has also crossed my mind.

Login or Register to Remove Ads