Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 12-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Chim

Dropped bike, now it won't start/How do I charge battery?

As much as I hate to be so rude as to immediately come asking a whole bunch of annoying questions before I've even introduced myself on the forum, I need help.

I'm a new rider, and to be honest, I'm really new to everything mechanical. I've been trying to learn about motorcycles for a while, and I feel like I've started to understand some of the basics, (and I mean BASIC basics. Like, "This is a sprocket! It turns with the chain!" basics.) but when it comes to practical 'how-to' knowledge, I'm lost, and I really don't have any experience with mechanics. I want to learn, but I've always just been scared I'm going to permanently damage something by messing with it. However, I finally own my own bike and the time has come that I just have to give it a shot, so, here goes... (gulp).

So, as you can see from the title of the thread, I went and dropped my bike (2003 Gz250) as a moron like myself is known to do (slow speed U-turn, yadda yadda. You know how us newbies are, always looking down when we should be looking up, grabbing at the front brakes instead of thinking.) So, I jumped up, got someone to help me lift it back onto its kickstand (dropped it on its right side, he was only down maybe 60 seconds or so), and cleaned up the gas that leaked from the cap. After a bit I tried to start it up again, but although it made the usual start-up sounds, it wouldn't hold. I tried to start it a bunch of times, checking the kickstand, cut-off switch, clutch, all that, and I couldn't get it to start. I wheeled it back into the garage, wiped up some more gas that had leaked from the cap, shut the garage door, looked him all over (pretty much just looking for scratches or anything bent, because I don't really know what else to be looking for) and went inside. Ten or fifteen minutes later, on a whim, I tried starting it one more time. This time, it actually did start up, but because I had shut the garage door (no more ventilation), after a bit, I turned it back off and went back inside.

A few hours later, I went out to try practicing those slow turns some more (one day I'll get the hang of it...), and my bike wouldn't start. Because, as I mentioned, I am a moron, I just kept trying to start him up, until he now no longer makes any noise at all other than a click, and his lights have gone dim. I asked around for advice, and it seems I'll have to charge the battery before I can do anything else, but as I mentioned, I'm new to all of this.

Luckily, I did think to order a battery charger a week ago or so, I'm just not entirely sure how to use it. (It's okay, you can laugh at me.) I've read the instructions, but it's really only made me more nervous now that I know doing this improperly could result in my burning my face off or blowing up my garage.

So, as I understand it, the situation is this: I dropped the bike and now it won't start. I drained the battery by trying to start it too many times. I now need to charge the battery before I can figure out what is preventing it from starting, thus how to fix it (again, gulp), thus getting my bike starting again.

In order to charge it, I need to remove the battery. I've managed to get the seat off and the side panel, so I am looking at the battery. How do I properly and safely remove the battery and charge it?

Thanks for wading through all that, and I appreciate any and all help you could provide! If all goes well with this leg of the journey, I'm sure I'll have a long and bumpy road ahead of me getting him starting again, but since charging the battery is the first step of this business, I might as well just focus on that for now. Again, thank you!

Login or Register to Remove Ads