Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
mangle1776

Cranks but dies when you pull the throttle

Let me start by saying I am not very mechanically inclined, but I am trying to learn. I recently purchased a gz250 from my sister, it's a 2002 model. She bought it a few years ago to learn to ride and never quite got the inclination. As such it spent two years being ridden very little and mostly sitting on her back porch. I bought the bike and the battery was dead. She told me they could get it to start by spraying starting spray in the air flow but after that they had to keep it full throttle or it wouldn't stay cranked. Her husband told me he expected it was the carb. I pulled the carb off after reading the how to's on this forum and sprayed the inside with carb cleaner. After spraying it really good and putting everything back together it now cranks and will idle, but when you give it some gas it goes dead. It seems like it is flooding. I have been able to crank and ride the bike around the neighborhood but as I said when you give it gas it dies. I have reached a top speed of 15 miles per hour. Anyone got any ideas what is causing this and what I need to do to get it back on the road. I have fresh gas in the tank and a little carb cleaner in it(berryman's as suggested here).

Login or Register to Remove Ads