Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 07-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
Comike14

All the gear, all the time...

I finally laid 'er down hard. I was in a gravel parking lot, and gave it a little gas. I didn't try to turn or break, just some gas.

BAM! It happened so fast it was like I was up then just suddenly down. I wasn't going very fast, but the bike landed hard on my left foot. I had on ALL my gear... except my boots. Just work shoes. Ended up with a fracture and a sprain. On adrenaline, I got the bike home in second gear (couldn't shift up from there). Needless to say, no riding for me until my foot heals, which will be a while.

I had been getting cockier and cockier, too. Riding fast, scraping my pegs on every turn, etc. I wasn't being cocky in the parking lot, but it almost feels like God's way of telling me to shape up. If I had been wearing my boots, though, my foot would have been dandy, and the only damage would have been the little cosmetic damage to the bike, and the damage to my pride. Now I'm off crutches, but hobbling around on a cane, and will be for some time.

Always wear all your gear. Had I not had on jeans, my leg would have been torn apart (I still drew blood, but not bad). Had I not had on my gloves, my hands would have been shredded to the bone. Had I not had on my armored jacket, I would have definitely damaged my arm and shoulder (onto which I let the impact roll after my wrists bent back too far). And finally, my helmet slapped the ground hard enough to daze me. I got lucky. If only I had my boots on...

Login or Register to Remove Ads