Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
gooch

Started riding to work - Loving it!

Quick rundown - took and passed the course Aug 1. Got my license, and started practicing on and off after work on local streets (very quiet)

First upgraded to busier local (2 lane, yellow lines) over the last week.

Started commuting today.

I live in Northern NJ, and my commute takes me on two state highways - For those of you who know the area, 4W to 17N. About 10 years ago a massive construction project was completed at this junction - it was one of the most dangerous cloverleafs in the country, and is now a very smooth set of flyovers. I have an incredible short commute - 5.8 miles each way, opposite traffic.

About highway speed:

1 - I like it. Way more relaxed than local driving, even with stop and go.
2 - I have been in various levels of traffic - sparse to stop and go - and have found that most cars around here are treating me like a car. I am still watching everywhere, and very wary, but so far so good.
3 - Really appreciating the "riiding over an object" skill from the course - some really weird bumps on these highways, due to some scattershot repairs over the years.
4 - This is a quiet bike, even at speed.

I think that I have an advantage in that these are the highways I have been riding and driving on my entire life - I know every exit and entrance, every weird merge, every driveway. I think I would be alot more nervous on a similar but unfamiliar highway, so this is a good place for me to get used to highway driving.

I will probably write again after riding to work through my first storm.

Login or Register to Remove Ads