Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 04-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
dentheman

Texas helmet law proof of motorcycle medical insurance.

Texas has recently passed a law that requires a motorcycle operator and passenger to have a proof of medical insurance card that states motorcycle accidents are covered by the insurer, if the operator or passenger are not wearing a helmet. I just read a working paper by the TX Department of Insurance that specifies the layout of that proof of insurance card, it is quite specific, even including the pitch of the lettering the insurer must use to print such a card. I am working with the TX DPS Motorcycle Division and the TX Department of Insurance to get an exemption from this requirement for military and military retirees since we are insured for any accidents (including motorcyle) by the military medical systm or Tri-Care (in the case of retirees, such as me). Our proof of insurance is our military ID cards, which do not meet the TX requirement for a 'proof of insurance' cards that they are proposing.

Do other states have such a proof of motorcycle health coverage requirement to delineate whether a person must or need not wear a helmet?

Login or Register to Remove Ads