Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-17-2024, 08:02 AM   #11
Demon49

I'll get one of those tachs asap and check. I've drained the tank with the petcock set to "prime" and it flowed great. It did have a slight kink in the fuel line coming from petcock to fuel filter, I got it out and replaced the line. The fuel filter looks good, but I guess that doesn't really mean much. Do I really need a fuel filter? It didn't come factory with one did it? I'll try draining the carb before I ride and after it cuts off and see if it's the same amount. My choke won't stay in the "on" position by itself, I have to hold it the whole time. Is that a problem? I've tried removing the gas cap and riding and it does nothing, it still dies. I'm gonna go ahead and rebuild the petcock just in case. How long does it take generally for a 02 gz250 to warm up? I'll check the bikes coil before ride and after but I don't know if it's getting to full temp in that short time. Would that matter? Thanks you all very much for your advice!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-17-2024, 05:08 PM   #12
Vegas Street Rider

You mentioned you have to hold the choke to "On" the whole time. Are you releasing it once the bike has run for a minute or two? Once it warms up a bit, the choke should be fully off.

I don't know the quality of the fuel you buy, but 87 octane is all you need for fuel. Unless you are buying your fuel from some fly by night place, I would eliminate the fuel filter all together. I have run mine for close to 36K miles without issue. I add Seafoam to the fuel about every 3 to 4 tank fulls and the carb jets stay very clean.
Old 06-17-2024, 07:41 PM   #13
Demon49

I don't have to use choke to start it. I was just mentioning it just in case it was a problem. I'm gonna take the fuel filter out I think. I got carb cleaner in it now.

Old 06-20-2024, 04:15 PM   #14
Axeman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon49 View Post
How long does it take generally for a 02 gz250 to warm up? I'll check the bikes coil before ride and after but I don't know if it's getting to full temp in that short time. Would that matter? Thanks you all very much for your advice!!!
My '06 GZ250 needs full choke to start in ambient temps below around 50F, and even in the hottest part of the summer, it seems to want 1/2 choke for start up. It warms up in less than 2 miles of traveling, a couple of minutes, but if I take the choke off too soon, it will stall. With the friction in my lever, I can set it to various intermediate choke positions, and I'll ease it off a bit at a time until I've traveled to certain waypoints that I know from experience it should be fully warmed up by. In a warmer environment, less choke might be required.

You might want to investigate the choke lever mechanism to see if there is some sort of friction adjustment.
Old 06-22-2024, 12:09 PM   #15
Demon49

Ok, I'll check into that asap. If I can't get it running myself in the next couple weeks I'm gonna take it to a shop to fix or sale it. I'm aggravated with it to the point I'm about done with it. I love riding and have been for awhile. I don't care much for the bike anyways, it's way to small for me but it would be perfect for my gf to ride. She went and took a motorcycle safety class to learn more than I could teach her, she got her license and the bike immediately quit running well.