GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Motorcycle Jack Stands (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61)

Badbob 09-21-2006 02:18 PM

Motorcycle Jack Stands

Saved from the Yahoo GZ250 Group. I'm repostiong it here so I can link to it and keep the photos with the text. I sure hope Dusty doesn't mind.

Quote:

Subject: [GZ250] for Garage and Travel
Date: Tue, June 27, 2006 23:20
To: GZ250@yahoogroups.com

Hi Robert,here's info you wanted on the stands. Pictures of the stands with text showing/telling how to make and use are in the Photos section under the title of "Cycle Stands". I didn't have a jack,so when I had to clean, lube and adjust the chain, I walked the cycle forward, worked on the chain, walked the cycle forward, etc. Didn't want to do that very often, so I made two stands out of lumber from the the "odds and ends" bin at Home epot... cost me $1.08 for the lumber. I used a 4 foot piece of 2x8 pine, but that was an overkill on size of lumber. A piece of 1x6 hardwood would probably work if you added a "hook and eye latch" on each side of the vertical piece to the horizontal piece to stabilize it.. a piece of 2x6 pine would work and be lighter than what I used. If you're careful with the cuts shown in the pictures, the vertical and horizontal pieces will fit together tightly and can be slipped together for use in the garage and then pulled apart to store flat in the saddle bags for trips. If the pieces don't fit tightly, you can just slip the pieces together and screw the bottom plate to them for garage use or use the "hook and eye latch" approach so they can be disassembled for travel. The bottom plate is useful for soft ground. Test them before relying on them... better to be safe than sorry. The only important measurements are: the distance from the ground to the bottom of the notch in the top of the vertical piece should be 11 1/2 inches (don't forget to account for the thickness of the bottom plate if you use one); the notch in the top of the vertical piece should be 1/2 inch in and 1/4 inch deep and 1 1/4 inch wide. The cut-outs in the vertical and horizontal pieces are half of the width of whatever size lumber you use. Cutting the shoulders on the pieces keeps the stand from hitting the muffler on the right side and also gives you a little more hand room when working on the chain. The stands give a 1/2 inch clearance for the tire. Using a hand held 7 1/4 inch circular saw and a sabre saw, you can make these in an hour. The stands I built are rock solid steady and could even be used when removing the engine if need be. You don't need anyone to help you position the cycle on the stands. Put the cycle on it's side stand. Go to the right side of the cycle and position a wooden stand so that the notch in the top of the vertical piece is under the swing arm just forward of the chain adjustment slider. Go to the left side of the cycle and tilt the cycle off its side stand so that it is vertical and it's right side swing arm rests on the wooden stand, and use your foot to position the second wooden stand so that it's notch is under the left side swing arm just forward of the chain adjustment slider. You're done. Easy.
Dusty

http://upload4.postimage.org/1202798..._Stands_01.jpghttp://upload4.postimage.org/1202807..._Stands_02.jpg
http://upload4.postimage.org/1202810..._Stands_03.jpghttp://upload4.postimage.org/1202816..._Stands_04.jpg

Bill 09-22-2006 06:27 AM

A great post! I've been wondering how to get the bike off the ground. While I have been looking for a lift for the C50 (or making a lift that someone wrote about like you did here) I couldn't find anything appropriote for the GZ250. It's not like you can use a regular commercial made motorcycle lift that you can slide under the frame. This is a great design that could easily be made even with hand tools (hand saw and wood chisel). Your post should be placed so that it will always be visible for new members to access.

Thanks! Cheers!

Dupo 09-23-2006 12:08 AM

Yea Bob, the "How To" section that you keep missing :lol:

Badbob 09-23-2006 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dupo
Yea Bob, the "How To" section that you keep missing :lol:

I can't make up my mind if it goes in how to or general maintenance. It is HowTo make jackstands that you use for general maintence. :??:

We also have a GZ250 General / General that confuses me as well. :??:

Growing pains I guess?

Badbob 09-23-2006 09:36 AM

[quote="Bill"]A great post! I've been wondering how to get the bike off the ground. While I have been looking for a lift for the C50 (or making a lift that someone wrote about like you did here) I couldn't find anything appropriote for the GZ250. It's not like you can use a regular commercial made motorcycle lift that you can slide under the frame. This is a great design that could easily be made even with hand tools (hand saw and wood chisel). Your post should be placed so that it will always be visible for new members to access.

You can use a regular motorcycle to jack. I have a Craftsman aluminum jack I use for this. You just need to be real careful about where you lift it. Some of the cheaper ones will not work because they will not go low enough. The next time I have it up on the jack I try to remember to take some pictures.

You can get the rear wheel off the ground by balancing the GZ250 up on the front wheel and the kickstand. While the rear wheel is in the air use your foot or get a helper to slide a block/s of wood. Under the right side of the frame. Some people have used a piece of PVC pipe for this.

You can also use any auto floor jack that will go low enough to get under the frame.

Dupo: Do you think we should make this one sticky? Soon as we figure out where it should go of course. :)

Dupo 09-23-2006 11:59 PM

I figure a How To is more of a tutorial type thing that someone decides "hey, im going to show everyone how to do this and add some pictures". The Maintenance section i would say is more for question and answer type posts. Hope that helps figure them out from now on....maybe lol.

I'd say the wood stands would be a How To section post. It shows "how to" build something with pics :)

oneyunguy 10-08-2006 11:41 PM

I made some. Simple if you have tools. I was lucky and hed the right and easy ones, plus the material.

They work alright. Thanks!

http://upload4.postimage.org/1342843/jacstands.jpg

Badbob 10-09-2006 05:01 AM

Very nice!

BadMojo 10-29-2006 04:06 PM

I got mine done today with $2.18 worth of scrap wood from Home Depot.http://upload4.postimage.org/1522748/P1000243.jpghttp://upload4.postimage.org/1522777/P1000245.jpg

El Pirata 01-13-2007 08:24 AM

Made mine yesterday, great design, simple but very effective. Thanks for saving me some cash!!

JIBTEXHNKA 06-19-2008 12:40 AM

can we sticky this too?

i have just made some notes on a pad of paper and i'm headed into the warehouse to plunder some lumber (almost rhymed). what a great use of company time!

edit: an hour and a half later, success! however i learned the hard way why i needed a "sabre" saw... i ended up using a hammer and chisel (read: flat-head screwdriver) to get the wood out of the notches (we're not exactly a woodshop here... tools are limited). when i get home i'm going to take a file and smooth it all out, because as of now it's looking pretty chunky in there.

tomorrow i'll test them out while i'm changing my oil for the first time. woohoo! now off to open-24-hours wal-mart to get one of those nifty self-containing oil drain pans.

jonathan180iq 06-19-2008 09:21 AM

It may be too late but make sure you get one that closes and has a drain plug. It can be a real pain trying to recycle your used oil with an open-top pan... messiest day of my life.

JIBTEXHNKA 06-19-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
It may be too late but make sure you get one that closes and has a drain plug. It can be a real pain trying to recycle your used oil with an open-top pan... messiest day of my life.

that's what i meant by self-containing... not sure if there's a technical name for it. the one i already had was just a pan with a little notch to make pouring "easy," yeah right. i managed to get it all into a milk jug but it was an experience i'd rather not repeat.

unfortunately the smallest one walmart had was 15 quarts... way bigger than i wanted but on the plus side i can drain my car oil in there as well and not have to worry about filling it up every oil change. less trips to the oil-recycler, more happy me

finallyinthesaddle 07-07-2008 10:19 AM

How to jack up the GZ

Take it for what it's worth:

Three weeks after I got my bike I encountered an unfriendly nail somewhere that thought my rear tire would make a good home. I too had trouble getting it off the ground without falling over. I have a set of cheap jackstands ($15.00 or so, I can't remeber the brand or where I got them, but they are definately not the 5-ton variety) that fit really well under the square brackets that the driver's pegs are mounted to (just make sure you get them under the bracket and not the peg, or it could spell disaster). This took care of the front end, both keeping it off the ground, and stabilizing it. For the back I used a cheap 2.5ton car jack that was low enough to go under the frame, and jacked up on the flat bracket that is right in front of the rear wheel (the U-shaped one with two holes that looks just perfect for the center stand that 'Zuki should have put on it). This took care of the rear tire. At the end I had the entire bike off the ground and still had enough room on the side to wiggle the rear tire out.

j54 04-23-2009 01:03 PM

Re: Motorcycle Jack Stands

Wow, that is a great idea. I might make a set for my self

dannylightning 04-27-2009 09:47 PM

i was thinking about making some of these but, couldn't you just buy some kind of wide wood beam and cut two pices off of it to the correct height. so you would have 2 solid blocks of wood and save a lot of time building something like this..

David Bo 05-01-2009 01:27 PM

This is what mine look like. I used an old piece of 4" X 6" pressure treaded wood I had hanging around the house and screwed a piece of 1" thick decking board to the bottom. I have a lot of wood working equipment in my basement so I got a little fancy on the angle cuts and notching. I also fastened a piece of rubber to the top notches so that the bike rests on a nice soft material. I like to spray paint the shit out of every little project I make and these jacks were no exception... :)
http://www.postimage.org/aVAY5IJ.jpg

Note how those little notches in the inside part of the 4"X6" help the stands get closer to the bike.

http://www.postimage.org/gxdRet9.jpg

mrlmd1 05-01-2009 05:26 PM

Wild looking muffler.

Water Warrior 2 05-01-2009 05:34 PM

David Bo, nice touches with the notching and rubber cushions. Will the 4 inch thick dimension limit access to any parts you may want to work on ?

David Bo 05-01-2009 06:23 PM

Thanks... The muffler really gives the bike a nicer sound too. It only cost $59.99 thru JC Whitney. Wasn't hard to install either. The 4" thick stands have not been a problem with accessing anything when I work on my bike. It least not so far.

Water Warrior 2 05-01-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Bo
Thanks... The muffler really gives the bike a nicer sound too. It only cost $59.99 thru JC Whitney. Wasn't hard to install either. The 4" thick stands have not been a problem with accessing anything when I work on my bike. It least not so far.

Excellant
:rawk: :rawk:

johnd 07-07-2009 11:51 AM

Hey Bad Mojo,

I am new to the forum and to my GZ (2000). Can you please tell me what kind of bags are on your bike, where you got them, and how they are mounted? They look really nice. My passenger seat is off at present and I can't carry a thing on my bike. I carried my Chinese dinner home in a bag on my wrist, not the best way.

Thanks very much.

johnd 07-07-2009 12:00 PM

Bad Mojo,

I forgot to mention the stands. They are exactly what I need and I have copied the measurements. I have no saws but my brother will help or make these for me. After lubricating the chain once when I brought the bike home, I knew there has to be a better way....

Pete7874 06-23-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Got a link?

Thanks.

Water Warrior 2 06-24-2010 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7874
Quote:

Got a link?

Thanks.

Just go to a JC Whitney website and look around. They have lots of stuff to fatten up your wish list.

Pete7874 06-24-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Just go to a JC Whitney website and look around. They have lots of stuff to fatten up your wish list.

Yeah, that's a dangerous path you're suggesting there... :)

Pete7874 06-24-2010 02:34 PM

Is this the one?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/dunstall-style ... 6467.jcwx#

The end of it looks somewhat different than David Bo's image, but that's the only one I can find for the GZ250.

68vette 09-28-2010 10:29 PM

Badbob and others here...I am new to motorcycles...have built two street rods from the ground up...motor and wiring and front suspension clips...

I have owned my 2000 green GZ for less than two weeks now...had some problems but I am correcting them...

I built my stands as Badbob showed and they work absolutely great.....easy to put the bike up on the stands...had my doubts...not any more.

Thank you ...Thank you

Jimmy in western NC

04-08-2011 03:31 PM

Hi all,

I just sold my bike and forgot to give away the stands I'd made. Does anybody want mine? I'll sell them for $30 OBO plus the cost of shipping and save you the time and the trip to the hardware store. :) As you can see, I've improved on the design slightly to make it easier to build.

- Aliz

PimpS 02-23-2012 03:10 PM

Hello guys!

I'm posting link of a stand and plz tell me if it is useful for gz? I think the price is right.
Thank you!

http://www.louis.de/_300a718ec22c30d0f4 ... r=10003333

PimpS 02-23-2012 03:12 PM

The wrong one; this one

http://www.louis.de/_300a718ec22c30d0f4 ... r=10003271

But i already got a possible insight that it is no good...

alantf 02-23-2012 03:38 PM

Why not try making your own. :)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=62

Water Warrior 2 02-23-2012 09:17 PM

As long as the support bar will lift evenly under the frame without tipping the bike it should work like a charm. Got a friend who can weld ?? It would be cheaper and a fun project. Weld the handle solid for simplicity. Did this years ago when riding dirt bikes and aftermarket stands were worth far too much. Paint it your favorite color.

johnd 04-17-2012 04:06 PM

I made a set of the real wheel jack stands from scrap wood as per the dimensions and pictures in the forum. They work great; they are sturdy and safe and you can easily set up your bike alone.

Health, age and other reasons considered, I recently sold my GZ250. The new owner had his own rack or jack that he said would work on the GZ, so he did not want them.

They are free for the asking. Local pickup would be better as they are quite heavy and may be expensive to ship.

John D
704-536-1906
priced2381@att.net

Water Warrior 2 04-17-2012 06:20 PM

Sorry to hear you had to hang up the helmet and boots. Age and health gets us all in time.

clonak 06-18-2012 05:26 AM

Just came across this on a local bikie forum, thought might be handy for some of you.

http://www.bbcracing.com/old/box/

Iv got the plywood sorted for mine, just gotta get the time to make it. should make things a bit easier when strip her down, no more laying on the ground.

mrgz250 07-20-2013 09:16 PM

the stands are a good idea but you can use small floor jack & role it under the swing arm from the right side once in place the bike will be on the kick stand it works perfect
& it will lift it up hight enough to take the rear wheel off adj chain as for the front tire pull the jack out a little way & lift it up the front tire will spin freeley once you get use to it & how to possition the jack its so easy here we go again it cost to much no it dosnt can be used on your auto to.
Its the easy way that works keep a open mine try it I put a rubber pad on my jack 1/4 inch thick

Fawlty 07-21-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgz250
I put a rubber pad on my jack 1/4 inch thick

Any chance of installing that rubber pad on top of your keyboard?

Water Warrior 2 07-21-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawlty
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgz250
I put a rubber pad on my jack 1/4 inch thick

Any chance of installing that rubber pad on top of your keyboard?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bschift 08-15-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgz250 (Post 72645)
the stands are a good idea but you can use small floor jack & role it under the swing arm from the right side once in place the bike will be on the kick stand it works perfect
& it will lift it up hight enough to take the rear wheel off adj chain as for the front tire pull the jack out a little way & lift it up the front tire will spin freeley once you get use to it & how to possition the jack its so easy here we go again it cost to much no it dosnt can be used on your auto to.
Its the easy way that works keep a open mine try it I put a rubber pad on my jack 1/4 inch thick

I wish your keyboard had a shift key, commas and periods. Though to read. (OK, forget the shift key if you must)