GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   leaking carb, still wont start (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7150)

jonathan180iq 08-19-2014 01:48 PM

There are just so many bypasses of the factory cut-out switches that I fear we are only digging ourselves deeper into a hole... The only way to properly troubleshoot all of this stuff is to get it back to factory and then work from there. I'm not electrical genius, but all of these circuits are interconnected and splicing here and bypassing there is just burying the rabbit hole even deeper under the tree.

iMoon1221 08-20-2014 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does this look OK?

Water Warrior 2 08-20-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th_bike (Post 81548)
That could be it, I remember reading that the GZ250 has some kind of safety in the key contact such that if you hot wire it, it still won't work. To prevent theft.

So, please first try and get everything like it should be, and work from there.

Yes, this was confirmed by a member quite some time ago. There is an electronic gizmo in the ignition switch to prevent hot wiring the bike and stealing it.

Water Warrior 2 08-20-2014 05:36 PM

Gotta agree with Jonathan. Get the bike back to factory wiring with nothing bypassed. Then you can do some actual trouble shooting for real results that mean something. You can toss a lot of time and money at the bike but you likely won't get it fixed while creating more problems.

gz4me + 08-21-2014 12:06 AM

The picture is of the stator. I do not see any burnt marks on it. The pick-up coil is at the top of the picture under the hold down clip. You will need a multi circuit tester and peak volt adaptor to check pick up coil peak voltage. You can not tell by looks that the stator is working correctly. It is easy to test with meter. The stator is for charging the battery and would not prevent the bike from starting. I agree with Water Warrior and Johathon on the wiring. Work on correcting those problems first.

raul10141964 08-21-2014 10:52 AM

put the bike back together an then folow this steps in order and only one at a time

1 starter, make sure the starter work reliable if not fix it
2 Ignition make sure the spark s working in not fix it
3 fuel check for correct fuel flow from the tank to the carb and the carb it self
4 compresion

iMoon1221 08-21-2014 03:11 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the feedback. I know your right, I was just really hoping I could do it without having a new key made. But I guess that's the first step. Locksmith says it'll be a hundred bucks to make a new one. Any cheaper ideas?

alantf 08-21-2014 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's one reason there's a space in the owner's manual to write in the key number. When I bought the bike (new) the two keys came with a tag, showing the number. If I lose my keys, I can give the number to the bike shop, who can order a new key for me.

img032.jpg

gz4me + 08-21-2014 10:19 PM

Have you watched Lost Key, by Studysession, page 3, #28, on this forum? Good video on subject. He never said how much it cost him, but has alot of good information.

iMoon1221 08-24-2014 07:15 PM

I am sad to say that I traded my precious bobber yesterday morning. I couldn't figure out the issue, and have been wanting a bigger bike to keep up with my dad. Thanks for all your help!