GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Instructional Articles (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Change the sparkplug (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1616)

mavrix 11-26-2011 08:10 PM

Re: Change the sparkplug

I changed my spark plug today and it was super easy thanks to this post... thank you for posting this Patrick!

chandlerbingfl 01-06-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrick_777
Tighten it with your fingers first, then torque it correctly (18N-m or 13 ft-lbs). This is generally only 1/8th turn of the plug past finger tight. NO MORE. You do not want to strip the plug threads nor damage your block.

Enjoy.

I follwed your steps but when replacing w/ a new plug I can only turn w/ fingers a few turns. It appeared to start properly but I had to use a socket to get it to turn further.

I immediately found your post, read it and tried it again. I can only turn the plug a few turns before it gets hard to turn unless using a socket. I checked the threads on the original plug as well as the new plug after removal and the threads look clean so I seriously doubt any kind of striping of the threads. Can I use some WD-40 on the threads?

Thanks!
Chandler

blaine 01-06-2012 03:44 PM

Yes,you can use some WD-40 on the threads.Did the old plug come out easily? If so there may be some carbon on the threads.
:) :cool:

JWR 01-06-2012 04:46 PM

The head threads will strip or cross thread before the plug.

WD 40, oil, or anti seize will work.

chandlerbingfl 01-06-2012 09:02 PM

Thanks for the replies! I used WD-40 and it did thread a bit easier.... Tightened it w/ the socket and good to go...

Unfortunately my starting problem is more battery related that plug but the plug was due for a change anyway....

Thanks again for the great resource!
Chandler

cibolorider 01-16-2012 02:21 PM

I thought the spark plug wrench was 18mm. This post says 17mm. Can anyone straighten me out on this?

blaine 01-16-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gz Rider
By measuring the sparkplug tool against a 17, 18 and 19mm socket with a caplier, I find the Suzuki Sparkplug tool closest to if not an exact match of the 18mm socket.

Keep in mind I don't think just any 18mm socket will do it because the plug is pretty tight in there. I've not heard of anyone being able to use anything other than the Sukuki tool.

18mm thin wall socket will fit.That's all I ever used. :) :cool:

cibolorider 01-16-2012 07:45 PM

Thanks guys, that's what I thought.

Road_Clam 02-13-2012 04:23 PM

Great tip ! Me personally STRONGLY advise using a dab of antisieze on the plug threads. My personal rule of thumb "almost" any bolt that comes out and I observe the imfamous "white powder" on the threads gets antisiezed. The only bolts I don't antisieze are sprocket bolts and brake caliper bolts, those get Loctited ! :2tup:

Rider 02-16-2012 05:20 AM

now that bike has a nice paintjob, is it from factory or did you painted it? silver+black+a red line, thats beautyful