GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Instructional Articles (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Install a 16 Tooth Front Sprocket (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264)

Water Warrior 2 07-23-2010 05:57 PM

Re: Install a 16 Tooth Front Sprocket

Ouch, 5 mm is way too snug. Your bike is in peril. Fix it or it will cost you.

cayuse 07-24-2010 03:08 AM

Personally, I think 5mm is very snug. Really not 'slack'. But you know what? That's what Suzuki says is the allowable minimum. Check p52 of the manual. :roll:

blaine 07-24-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cayuse
Personally, I think 5mm is very snug. Really not 'slack'. But you know what? That's what Suzuki says is the allowable minimum. Check p52 of the manual. :roll:

You are right,BUT--The chain would be much tighter than that when you are on the bike,or rebounding off bumps,or not at the tightest point of the chain.Also the chain had to be way out of adjustment to ever get the 16t sprocket on without loosing the rear wheel,also not good.Some serious maintenance needs to be followed before someone gets hurt.

:skull: :)

Don't mean to rant,but I am a stickler for maintenance.

:) :2tup:

aboes81 08-09-2010 06:07 PM

Hello, I recently got the 16T sprocket and when I went install it I noticed the missing rubber gaskets of the OEM one. The problem is that the nut (30mm one) that secures the sprocket doesn't seem to be able to secure the sprocket because it's thinner. Am I missing something?

Easy Rider 08-09-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aboes81
Am I missing something?

Probably not. You may need a shorter bolt......or an added washer, which I really wouldn't recommend, long term.

blaine 08-09-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Hello, I recently got the 16T sprocket and when I went install it I noticed the missing rubber gaskets of the OEM one. The problem is that the nut (30mm one) that secures the sprocket doesn't seem to be able to secure the sprocket because it's thinner. Am I missing something?

The sprocket should slide on to the splines snugly even with out the nut.Make sure you have it on the correct way,than the lock washer.The new sprocket is a little thinner without the rubber
hub,It will still tighten.

:cool: :2tup:

aboes81 08-10-2010 10:28 AM

It tightened fine. I got it on and took it for a ride. The new sprocket makes a very noticeable difference. My favorite part is how much smoother the top end is. I can cruise at 65-70 comfortably whereas before the vibrations for the engine made me uncomfortable.

The only downside is that I always have a goofy grin on my face.

Easy Rider 08-10-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

It tightened fine.

So......if it tightened on the sprocket solidly.....then what was point of the original question ???

"The problem is that the nut (30mm one) that secures the sprocket doesn't seem to be able to secure the sprocket because it's thinner."

I'm confused.....but that's not unusual. :roll:

nautec 08-10-2010 03:26 PM

Just an update on my sprocket experience. I have noticed a gas mileage increase in my everyday commute. Went from 67 mpg average to 73 mpg average. Cool beans!

Water Warrior 2 08-13-2010 04:58 AM

The rubber gasket on the OEM sprocket is usually there to control noise but I doubt there is a difference in real world riding. I read some where that all Japanese bikes use OEM sprockets made by Sunstar. This could be their way of signifying OEM from aftermarket supplied sprockets.