GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cutch, shift, clutch, shift, cl...SNAP! (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2271)

David Bo 04-28-2009 09:08 PM

Re: Cutch, shift, clutch, shift, cl...SNAP!

14 nights... That term was commonly used in old American literature...

dannylightning 04-28-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Bo
14 nights... That term was commonly used in old American literature...

crap that's about how long the dealer said my break pads, tube and air filter i ordered would take to come in.

alantf 04-29-2009 03:02 PM

Sorry ................ A fortnight (two weeks) is so common in English usage that I just assumed it was used worldwide.

spuriousgrowth 05-02-2009 10:36 PM

What is the technique for shifting with no clutch? I can see how you might down-shift, although this would be a rough ride, but what about upshifting? Get the engine to high rpm and then let off the throttle while shifting?

I had an over eager left foot coming to a stop and went from second to first before I had the clutch in. I lost a little rubber and it was hard on the wrists. I can't imagine riding like this on purpose.

Easy Rider 05-03-2009 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spuriousgrowth
What is the technique for shifting with no clutch?

The technique on a GZ is: Don't try it. :skull:

I have been able to do it in the higher gears of every bike I have ever owned without a significant jerk but not so with the GZ. Don't know why but it just doesn't work very good.

The "technique" is to put significant pressure on the shifter while accelerating. When you let off the gas, it "falls" into the next gear without the clutch. On the GZ, it has always caused a significant jerk/clunk for me. Regardless of the bike, this is NOT a good thing to do from 1st to 2nd, because of crossing neutral.

burkbuilds 05-05-2009 03:55 PM

Just broke my cable a couple of hours ago. Heading down the parkway from Wal-Mart and it just snapped as I shifted into 4th. Made it through town (small town) to the local Suzuki dealer but they had to order one, probably won't be here for two days or so. Had a little trouble getting started, (killed it three times in the parking lot)but once I was moving I was able to shift okay until I got home. I called the other local Suzuki dealer but same story, not a stock item.
Mine broke right at 12,000 miles on a 4 year old bike. Anybody know what's typical for these cables? Should I go ahead and order new cables for everything while I'm at it? Any advice appreciated, I have no idea what a normal replacement interval is for these cables.

adrianinflorida 05-05-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burkbuilds
Just broke my cable a couple of hours ago. Heading down the parkway from Wal-Mart and it just snapped as I shifted into 4th. Made it through town (small town) to the local Suzuki dealer but they had to order one, probably won't be here for two days or so. Had a little trouble getting started, (killed it three times in the parking lot)but once I was moving I was able to shift okay until I got home. I called the other local Suzuki dealer but same story, not a stock item.
Mine broke right at 12,000 miles on a 4 year old bike. Anybody know what's typical for these cables? Should I go ahead and order new cables for everything while I'm at it? Any advice appreciated, I have no idea what a normal replacement interval is for these cables.

Not sure what the life is, probably depends on use, care (Lubing), service climate.... I just ordered a full set of cables (Clutch, both throttle cables, rear brake and start cable (Choke/enricher). Gonna replace the throttle cable and rear brake, and oil and bag up the old ones for an emergency backup. Mines an '03, so they have to be due.

music man 05-05-2009 06:03 PM

You have to remember that compared to the average bike, the clutch get used ALOT on a GZ, with all the gear hunting that goes on on it, on most bikes you could stay in one gear at way longer intervals than on the GZ, so it just makes sense that it wears kinda fast.

Easy Rider 05-05-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
Mines an '03, so they have to be due.

Clutch and brake cable, yes, sure, because they take a lot of stress.

Throttle and choke cables almost NEVER fail by breaking.....unless they are severly neglected and they rust in two. Changing them routinely is overkill.

burkbuilds 05-05-2009 11:57 PM

Sounds like good advice, thanks!